Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Douglas_G Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2011, 05:36 PM
    Office in Atl but live in Florida 90% of the time, do I have to pay GA taxes?
    I cover the Southeast for a global company, I have an apt in Atlanta but live there only 10% of the year (I rent a room). My office is in Atlanta but my house is in Florida where all my mail goes, where my car is registered and where I am homesteaded. Do I have to pay GA state taxes? How would GA even know if I live in GA part time?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 9, 2011, 03:06 PM
    Since your office is located in Atlanta, the state of Georgia would argue that your woek locus is in Atlanta. That being the case, Georgia would allow you to file as a non-resident, but would take your income as sourced in Georgia.

Every other state that has a state income tax would take the same position, a position that HAS been upheld in tax and other federal courts on numerous occasions.

To correct this problem, you need to vacate the office in Atlanta and move everything down to Florida where you live. Since Florida has NO state income tax, that would alleviate the requirement for you to pay ANY state income tax.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Florida residents pay Georgia state taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Im a Florida OTR driver and my residence is in Florida. I report to work in Georgia, but draw a paycheck from a Florida based company. Am I required to pay Georgia state taxes?

I rent a house that just went into foreclosure, I live in Florida. Do I need to pay th [ 2 Answers ]

I rent a house in Florida that just want into foreclosure . Do I need to pay the landlord the monthly rent.

Should I pay taxes in MA if I didn't live there? [ 2 Answers ]

I lived in NY for all of 2009. Since my check is direct deposited I had not changed my address with my employer as it did not really cross my mind. Do I have to pay taxes in MA even though I did not live there?

Should I file US taxes if I already pay taxes in Italy where I live? [ 1 Answers ]

American expat living in Italy tax question

View more questions Search