Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    canton134 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2011, 02:28 PM
    My mom pass away
    My Mom pass away in VA. But in 2007 she sold her home in new orleans and I receive half of the sale.Presently I am still waiting to get the rest of her assets.I do not have $$ to hire an attorney so what are my options to get the rest of her assets.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 17, 2011, 02:44 PM
    Her estate has to go through probate, so you find the probate judge for her locality. Start by asking her city or town hall clerk.
    Much will depend on whether she left a will.
    Without one, the court has to find all the family who are entitled to various fractions according to the law in VA.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 17, 2011, 02:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by canton134 View Post
    My Mom pass away in VA. But in 2007 she sold her home in new orleans and i receive half of the sale.Presently i am still waiting to get the rest of her assets.I do not have $$ to hire an attorney so what are my options to get the rest of her assets.
    Please accept my condolences.

It depends upon what the assets are and who is in possession of them. Did she leave a will?
    Expert

Feb 17, 2011, 02:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Without one, the court has to find all the family who are entitled to various fractions according to the law in VA.
    The process is not necessarily automatic. It may be that nothing will happen unless OP asks.

And whether it is Virginia, Louisiana, or otherwhere depends upon where she was domicilded when she died. I understand that she died in Virginia. Did she reside there?

Feb 17, 2011, 03:00 PM
    Yes she live in VA. So she live in Gordansville Va. Which is orange county.. They have a court there in orange,va.. so I call the clerk there? I was trying to find a lawyer who does contingency cases but have not found one.. so I guess I have to do the work.. I live in Ga... Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Expert

Feb 17, 2011, 03:05 PM
    yes she live in VA. So she live in Gordansville Va. which is orange county..They have a court there in orange,va ..so i call the clerk there? I was trying to find a lawyer who does contingency cases but have not found one..so i guess i have to do the work..I live in Ga...Thanks for any help ya can give me.
    Did she rent some place to live in when she died? Someone is going to have to go through her stuff and figure out if she left anything else of value: real property, automobiles, bank accounts, retirement death benefits, stocks, bonds, etc.

There may be an official in Gordonsville that takes possesssion of personal property (if for example she died in a hospital). Ask the court clerk.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 17, 2011, 03:18 PM
    You still haven't said if she left a will or anything of value. You should do as much as you can by phone, and eventually you may have to drive up there. You have sort of jumped right over all the info about who handled her death certificate and burial or cremation. SOMEONE did if you didn't. Can't you talk to them? There are no relatives there? Getting your inheritance isn't always just sitting back and waiting for a check, and this isn't something lawyers take on contingency, especially if they have no idea of what assets there are.

Feb 17, 2011, 03:20 PM
    OK I got the clerk email and phone in Gordansville Va... Thanks for you help

Feb 17, 2011, 03:23 PM
    Yes she had assets... I have all bank statements, will and power of attorney.. is is okay I can drive there to see what I can do.. Thanks for you help
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 17, 2011, 03:33 PM

The POA expired with her so that's not good. What does the will say? Were you named as sole heir as executor?

It would helps us help you if you answer our questions.

Feb 17, 2011, 03:35 PM
    Yes I am the only person on the will

Feb 17, 2011, 03:37 PM
    The will she did was in 2000 and it was done in new orleans,La
    Expert

Feb 17, 2011, 03:39 PM
    yes she had assets...I have all bank statements, will and power of attorney..is is okay i can drive there to see what i can do..Thanks for ya help
    If you are named executor (personal representative) in the will, one thing you should do when you get there is have her mail forwarded to you.

Filing with the court to "probate" the will may be necessary. When, however, estate assets are minimal, they sometimes can be collected by affidavit - saving the expense of probate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfrends mom pass away and I need words of encouragement [ 3 Answers ]

Mom passed and she still greeving. Now she hates her jobs people she works around. She need words of encouragement.

Early 90's movie where lady locks mom in basement because mom is monster [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I'm trying to remember the name of this horror movie that I think came out in the early 90's or late 80's where at the beginning, this lady goes to a gypsy/fortune teller and the fortune teller gives her a Moon and Star pendant and tells her that her soul mate will have the same Moon and Star...

Step Mom listens in on kids conversations with real Mom [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter who is 41 , lives with me, and is an alcoholic, but calls her children every night. I am always within hearing distance. The step Mom listens in and if she doesn't like the conversation or the question my daughter asks she hangs up the phone on them and won't answer the phone if my...

Known as grandma to be mom, and real mom to be sister! [ 2 Answers ]

So I'm 12 years old and last summer the "secret" came out. The whole Summer of 08 sucked "butt" every signal day my "mom" and "sister" fought. Now there fighting for mine and my other sister's love I still call my "grandma" mom just not around my "real" "mom". Its sooooo weird to be around them at...

View more questions Search