Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 17, 2011, 12:17 PM
    Refrigerator Circuit
    I'm researching a question for a teacher regarding the use of a refrigerator on the kitchen small appliance circuit.

I know there is an exception that allows the refrigerator to be placed on a dedicated circuit. I cannot find. Can you tell me the code citation I'm looking for please.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2011, 12:31 PM
    Here you go, see last exception:

(B) Section 210.52 Small Appliances.

(1) Receptacle Outlets Served. In the kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling unit, the two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits required by 210.11(C)(1) shall serve all wall and floor receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A), all countertop outlets covered by 210.52(C), and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment.

Exception No. 1: In addition to the required receptacles specified by 210.52, switched receptacles supplied from a general-purpose branch circuit as defined in 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, shall be permitted.

Exception No. 2: The receptacle outlet for refrigeration equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an individual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 17, 2011, 03:40 PM

TK,

Thank you. I swear, I read over that at least a dozen times. I knew it was there.

Maybe next time, I'll have to open my eyes and actually read what is there. Dumb a**!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit Breaker trips because two bathrooms and master bedroom on same circuit [ 6 Answers ]

Some electrician committed a blunder in my opinion about 17 years ago. The master bedroom and two full bathrooms are all on the same circuit. If two hair dryers are used at the same time, it will trip the breaker every time. In figuring out what amperage would be required for two hair dryers and...

Can circuit work well if we connect 12A load to 20A circuit? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: I have several equipment which are around 12A. I just can connect them to 20A circuit. But I am not sure if circuit will trip well under overload and short circuit. I know 15A is perfect.But,I don't have 15A circuit Thanks for everybody.

Can a gas stove and a refrigerator be on the same circuit? [ 3 Answers ]

Can a gas stove and a refrigerator be on the same circuit?

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search