Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Safetydude Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2011, 11:13 AM
    How do I test a defrost board
    I a 10 year Ruud heat pump UPMC-036JAZ condenser that has no 24v signal at the contactor. The compressor and fan work when I depress the contactor. My defrost board is a Rheem 47-21517-11. Can someone tell me what voltages should be at what terminals when the T-stat is calling for heat?

Thanks in advance.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2011, 08:05 PM
    Small red button down by the refrigeration lines going into the outside unit. Give it a push to reset. It's a high limit reset button and is known to go bad.
    Safetydude Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2011, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Top View Post
    Small red button down by the refrigeration lines going into the outside unit. give it a push to reset. Its a high limit reset button and is known to go bad.

Thanks, but there was no status change. I felt a click when I pressed the button. My board is a Rheem 47-21517-11. Across the top are the following lugs: C, C, D (O?), Y, B,R. Down the left side: Y, CC, RV, C. On the right (alongside a relay?) are 2 lugs titled FAN. The top left "C" has a purple wire that is not connected to anything.

With the T stat calling for heat, I get the following readings across the top row, using the second "C" as a presumed common: D=1v, Y=26, B=26, R=1. On the left, using C as a presumed common: Y=26, CC=0, RV=26. Between the common and the FAN=0.

With no call for heat, I get the following:
    D=10v, Y=7, B=27, R=27. On the left, using C as a presumed common: Y=7, CC=0, RV=27. Between the common and the FAN=0.

BTW, I got these readings with the 220v breaker off, and the contactor removed. Also, did I respond to your answer in the correct manner? This forum is set up different from a consumer forum when it comes to replies. Again, thanks for your advice.

Bill
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2011, 03:31 PM
    R to C should have 24v all the time heat calling or not. That's what runs the logic in the control board. With out a true 24v the board will not work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obsolete miller defrost board [ 0 Answers ]

Hoping someone can help, but it's a longshot. Trying to find a wiring schematic for a miller heat pump. Don't know the model#, but I believe it's a 1985. Only thing I have to go by is the defrost board thermostat connection which is w2,2,k,z,x,w1,y,r,t. Every connection is wired except w2. ...

Voltage at Defrost Board [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, my A/C and Heat are working correctly after I replaced a faulty defrost board. However I noticed that when I test voltage on all the wires coming from the air handler (yellow, red, green, etc.. ) at the defrost board, I'm only reading ~5.3V. The defrost board says "24V AC". I can test...

Replace a defrost board in old Goodman unit [ 1 Answers ]

How do I replace a defrost board in a 16 year old air conditioner and do I have to buy a defrost board made by Goodman?

Faulty defrost controller board? [ 3 Answers ]

I have as split-unit heat pump. When I got home the other day, it was 90 degrees! The air coming out of the vents was warm. However, neither the outside fan nor the compressor were running. A technician told me that the controller board was faulty but he would not be able to replace the board until...

Defrost control board [ 1 Answers ]

Last winter the heat wasn’t keeping up with the set temp, the outside fan came on, but the compressor would not start, you could hear it trying to start but it wouldn’t come on. The tech said the compressor was short cycling, and it was now "locked up", they put in a new compressor (part was cov’d...

View more questions Search