Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jp_perry Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2011, 07:26 AM
    Black mold?
    A worker of mine is sick, his kids and wife are sick. Their apartment flooded in Nov of 2010. Nothing has been done. Same carpet and black mold coming out of vents. He keeps calling but they never come. He can't afford to break lease and he has no place else to go. I am wondering what is standard actions for an apartment when this happens? I feel they should have put them in another apartment and fixed his or just given them a new apartment. He has hospital bills now. What is he suppose to do?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2011, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jp_perry View Post
    I feel they should have put them in another apartment and fixed his or just given them a new apartment. He has hospital bills now. What is he suppose to do?
    Hello jp:

You SAY he can't afford to move. I SAY he can't afford to stay.

Of course, they SHOULD have reacted better, but like some people, they need to be FORCED to do the right thing. Your worker DOES have rights and he can FORCE his landlord to act. He just needs to assert them. He can find his rights in his states landlord tenant law and his lease.

Once he has determined his rights, he needs to DOCUMENT his complaints before the courts will step in. So, instead of just CALLING his landlord up on the phone, he needs to write his landlord a certified letter sent return receipt requested...

In fact, once a landlord receives a letter like that, he knows he's been caught, and he BETTER address his tenants needs or he'll get sued...

By the way, his landlord breached the lease by NOT doing what he was contracted to do. Once broken, your worker can't break it again.

excon

Feb 17, 2011, 07:46 AM
    Yes, he can't afford to do either. Thank you for your help. He has documented his efforts. He is trying to avoid legal steps. But, the apartments are not helping.
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2011, 07:49 AM

Hello again, jp:

He can't afford what?? Letters are cheap, and so is small claims court. I KNOW they're not helping. He needs to MAKE them help, and he CAN.

excon
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2011, 07:59 AM

Hello again, jp:

I think you're writing a response to me as I type this, but I didn't want to wait.

Your worker has POWER to fix his situation if only he would use it. If nothing more, and not knowing which state we're talking about here, he IS covered by what's known as the "warranty of habitability". All states recognize it. What it means, is that he is guaranteed a "habitable" residence... One covered in BLACK MOLD isn't habitable...

He can MOVE his family into a hotel TONIGHT, and MAKE the landlord pay for it. He has that right. He only needs to know HOW to assert it. That's why you came here, isn't it?

excon

Feb 17, 2011, 08:11 AM
    Thank you for your help excon. We are in Texas. I'm sure all states have the same laws when it comes to occupancies health. I was saying he can't afford to stay or leave. But, I will definitely let him know he can be reimbursed for Hotel and if not I am just going to put them in one myself. I will take your advice and have him write and call daily. I am also going to contact Texas Health Board. Thanks again excon.
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2011, 08:19 AM

Hello again, jp:

Go git 'em.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black mold on outside house on vinyl surfaces. [ 1 Answers ]

Every year I have to wash the outside walls, fascia and soffit of my house where the vinyl is. It seems the ouest side is the worst. I wash it with water and some bleach and it start reappearing the year after. Could it be that in summer every morning there is a dew on the ground and on the house.

Black mold problems [ 2 Answers ]

In my master bathroom, I've recently removed some door trim that appeared to have dry-rot at the bottom in order to replace it with new trim. Upon removal, I can see (using a flashlight) that some of the wood faming appears moist and is black. The location in the bathroom is the wall between the...

How to get rid of Black Mold [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2nd home, about 80 years old. The walls are plaster style, probably with no insulation installed. The heating is the floor furnace style. Recently I noticed some black mold on the bedroom walls that is on the exterior side. There is no plumbing (water) in that area, so no water leaks....

Black Mold [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a law or any city regulations in the state of Kentucky regarding black mold being on or in rental property?

Black mold [ 3 Answers ]

I have mold growing under my crawlspace it is buckling my floors I am a renter is there some institution that I can have check this out for me, private companies want a lot of money,My dogs and myself are feeling the effects from this but we are not sure this isn't just a cold on us.But it is new.I...

View more questions Search