Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    a121137 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2011, 04:27 AM
    Am I obligated to refund money on a used item sale on amazon.com
    I sold a used item on amazon.com am I legally obligated to refund money when theyn claim it to be damaged and cam amazon.com hold my money for 90 days giving buyer of used item a chance to return item.in my policy listings I list no returns on used items. What gives Amazon legal right to hold my money for 90 days on sale of used items.amazon says this sale is between seller and buyer and they do not interfear. Holding my money is interfearing.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 17, 2011, 04:32 AM

First it depends on the fine print of your agreement with Amazon. They want to protect their reputation so they may be holding on to the right to not process payments in case of a dispute. I would if I were them.

If your site specifies all used items are sold AS-IS, then you probably do not have to refund the money. But if Amazon believes you are selling defective merchandise, they can shut you down, again I would if I were them.

Whether you can hide behind your no refunds policy depends on how well you worded it. You can't knowingly sell defective items. That's fraud.

Feb 17, 2011, 05:22 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    I am not hiding behind my refund policy it is plain and simple I can not warrant a used item that is anywhere from 3 years or 20 years old. I am not selling defective items. These customers can use an item for a day or 90 days and if it does not work anymore I should give a refund. Get realno business in their right mind gives a warranty ike that. It shoud not matter what Amazon says. This is a sale between me and buyer.that is what amazon.com says. It is only a platform for buyer and seller.

Feb 17, 2011, 05:46 AM

First, may I call your attention to the rules on using the ratings/comments found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum-...nes-24951.html

Your rating was not appropriate since there was nothing non-factual or inaccurate about my response. This site provides answers by VOLUNTEERS who donate their time and expertise to help others. To slap them in the face for trying to help, whether you agree with the answer or not is wrong.

Second, I don't know if you are hiding behind your return policy or not. Yes it DOES matter what Amazon says since you are selling through their site so you have to follow their rules and they need to protect their reputation. You need to get real if you think that doesn't matter.

On the other hand I do understand you can't warrant pre-owned items. That means you should NOT sell any item you have not tested to ensure that it works.

Finally, I didn't say you had to refund the money I said it depended on the wording of your agreement with Amazon and the wording of your policy. Without knowing what that wording is, I don't know whether you are protected or not. I do know that a business can't sell items that they know do not work unless that fact is disclosed.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 17, 2011, 06:03 AM
    Any sale anywhere is between seller and buyer, anytime you go buy a gallon of milk, a gun, a toy, a car. It doesn't mean that the state and federal gov't can't have all sorts of laws regarding that sale, and they do. And if those laws conflict with signs in the store, the gov't wins. Same with Amazon and eBay and all those sites that put buyer and seller together. When you signed on to sell, you had to click AGREE to an agreement (I know, few people read them). That agreement included them holding funds if a buyer is unhappy. Too many unethical sellers were selling crap. That's not to say there aren't unethical buyers out there.
    On eBay it's 45 days. Don't like 45 days? Use craigslist.

Feb 17, 2011, 06:05 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Amazon has created an atmosphere that buyers have found they can file a claim get reimbursed fully for item and not return item they say don't work, I had aclaim buyer said item defective . Item was not defective. I gave full refund and requested item back .did not get item back. Amazon protects buyer 100% without any facts to the dispute. Where is the fairness. I am not rating you for your answer. My policy listed no returns on used items. How much more clear can I be.

Feb 17, 2011, 10:49 AM

Excuse me, but you rated my answer as Not helpful. To do so you had to choose a thumbs down rating.

Whether Amazon is pro buyer or not, I don't know. I don't see through them. But that doesn't alter the fact that they impose these rules. And if you are going to sell on their platform you have to deal with their rules. This is all part of doing business. Are you going to get burned sometimes? Yes, but that's part of risk you take. If you don't like Amazon's rules don't use them to sell.

As for your policy, a person cannot sign away their rights. So your policy would probably not hold up in a court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I obligated to refund money for an item sold on Craigslist? [ 10 Answers ]

I recently sold a wireless headset on craigslist. The item had never been used, was still in original box with all plastic wrapping sealed and was advertised as such. Later that night the man who purchased it called me and claimed it was defective... he asked for the receipt, which of course I do...

Ledger postings for sale of inventory item [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. Can anyone confirm the general ledger postings for the sale of an inventory item? Really would appreciate your help. Thank you. Jenni

View more questions Search