Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    king24389 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2011, 07:53 AM
    Can an ex- felon be a private investigator?
    I am interested in becoming a private investigator but I have a few felonies dated back about 8 years ago, can I still be a private ivestigator?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2011, 09:08 AM

In general, no.
    Slymmfish Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2011, 10:05 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    Really, why is that? And is that a fact or a guess? If it's a fact, please tell us how to research that "fact"?
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2011, 10:17 AM

Why is that? I have no idea. I don't make up the rules.

Go the LPI licensing sites for each State and check. I'm not going to look up all the States for you.

I am guessing - and it's anyone's guess - that you are asking about being a LICENSED private investigator. Is that correct?

In general you have to pass a background check (plus experience and education, ability to be bonded/insured). You cannot pass a LPI background check with a felony conviction, much the same as not being able to get a Nursing license. If you meet all of the requirements but are denied due to an arrest record you have the right to appeal. Decisions on licensing are made on a case-by-case basis.

You seem confrontational. Why?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2011, 07:24 PM

For example in Ga, you can not be convicted of any felony and not convicted of even a misdemeanor if they were theft or gun related

So much of a PI is their a
    terrencedalton Posts: 4, Reputation: -2

Feb 18, 2012, 09:09 AM
    I didn't see him getting confrontational at all. He even asked you please? Not everybody who has a felony on record is still a criminal. Truth is people change and he could be the same man that saves your life someday because you helped guide him into what god has called his soul to do for our community because you unconditionally loved and supported him in helping people stay safe in our community. Love begets love. Maybe you should try it sometime. Because if he's going to break the law he will break whether he gets a license to be an investigator or not if he is loose and free in your community silly.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2012, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by terrencedalton View Post
    i dint see him getting confrontational at all. he even asked you please? not everybody who has a felony on record is still a criminal. truth is people change and he could be the same man that saves your life someday because you helped guide him into what god has called his soul to do for our community because you unconditionally loved and supported him in helping people stay safe in our community. love begets love. maybe you should try it sometime. because if hes gonna break the law he will break whether or not he gets a license to be an investigator or not if he is loose and free in your community silly.

This has nothing to do with whether this person can "become" a PI. I don't write the rules. If you want the requirements for a PI License (which I assume this person is asking about) write the various State licensing boards and suggest that the standards and requirements be changed.

It's not whether he is giong to break the law or not - it's whether he can be trusted to provide info which can lead to others being charged with a crime or found guilty of a crime. If you have no credibility on the street you have no credibility in the Courtroom.

I am not aware of any PI's who have saved anyone's life. What are you referring to?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

90's private investigator show, man and woman, partners. [ 8 Answers ]

I remember a tv-show I saw when I was younger, but I don't remember what it was called. It was about a man and a woman who were private investigators. They had a little office, only one room, that I think was white. There prople came and asked them to investigate their cases. I think the man was...

Can a private investigator call my job for a mortgage remod in ny [ 2 Answers ]

Can a private investigator call my job , because I am going for help on my mortgage . I am seeking the help as so many are today in a loan remodifcation and our mortgage insureance or pmi com, sent a private investigator to our home without letting us know and he said he called my wife's job and...

Unprofessional conduct of a private investigator [ 3 Answers ]

I hired a private investigator in 2006 and he gave me all wrong information about the women my husband was cheating with. I gave him $3500.00 up front and all I had left he claims was $926.00 now I want all my money back for services never received. I received no photos, no videos, and he hired...

Any know of Private Investigator for Immigration Marriage Fraud? [ 4 Answers ]

I have initiated a case of marriage fraud against an individual with I.C.E. She married (someone else) for green card in U.S. (she is from Poland), had a child with me and AFTER the pregnancy told me of her "marriage for green card purposes." Once her green card came through she flew the coop, I...

View more questions Search