Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bradler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2011, 12:10 AM
    Paid rent but got evicted halfway through month. Do I get half a months rent back?
    I am getting evicted for noise complaints. I Paid rent on the first of the month, And received the notice on the sencond. I have to be out on the 16th (halfway through the month). I was wondering if I get a half months rent back?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 16, 2011, 04:45 AM

First you need to define the notices you received. Second, ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

Depending on the terms of your lease and local law, they may not be able to have you vacate with less than 30 days notice. What you received is almost certainly NOT and eviction order. An eviction order is only issued by a court. So you probably received a notice of termination of tenancy. If you ignore it, they will then go to court for an eviction order.

If they are terminating your tenancy because of lease violations they may be able to give a shorter notice and may be able to not pro rate your rental. There are too many questions that need answering for us to say one way or the other.
    Ilike Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Mar 5, 2011, 01:16 AM
    I would suggest reviewing your lease. It is likely you defaulted under the terms of your lease and likely lost your full deposit.

In most jurisdictions the Landlord would probably not be able to keep the full months rent (but most would try).

Have you contacted your Landlord to attempt to work things out? A noise complaint is usually the easiest to solve provided its not a barking dog and you and yours aren't chemically imbalanced. Being remorseful goes a long way.

Good luck!

Note: Review your lease we don't know what you signed.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2011, 05:31 AM

Hello b:

Even IF your lease says that the landlord can KEEP rent you didn't use because of lease violations, I suggest that he CAN'T do it. If you leave in the middle of the month, and he DOESN'T give you your deposit and pro-rated rent back, I'd sue him.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 5, 2011, 02:25 PM
    Do you have a lease?

Contact the LL. See if you can work things out so that you don't have to leave. If you can't do that, request that you be given 'til the end of the month you have paid for. If he refuses to do that, ask about pro-rating the rent. If that too fails, let them try to evict you. It's questionable whether they can evict you at all for noise complaints, and if the court does allow it, the court may require pro-rating.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a landlord in las vegas Nevada lock you out if you have paid over half your rent? [ 6 Answers ]

The manager of where I'm at gave me a notice on the seventh for the 5 day or quit. Yet he posted it on my door the 7th. But on it said he gave it to me on the 5th which he didn't . I don't leave my house at all cause of a mental condition. I now have given him 360 of my rent and he said he's going...

Can I be evicted from key home if I paid my back rent and only owe for the current mo [ 4 Answers ]

I went to court one August 21 for July and prorated September rent up until the 21 of September. As of today date (10/09/10), I have paid all of my back rent and only owe for October. Can I be evicted for the current month without a court order? I am in the state of Va and this is what my apt staff...

Don't you have to be 1 full month behind in rent to be evicted in the state of ky [ 1 Answers ]

In ky don't you have to be 1 full month behind in rent to be evicted

My tenant has a month-to-month lease and has not paid rent-- NYC [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a subletter in my apartment and she only has an oral agreement to stay here and she has been here for more than 30 days. First, she said she'd move at the end of last month, but on the last day she told us she was staying. When my husband asked her for the rent, she started screaming...

Being evicted but I paid rent [ 2 Answers ]

My lanlord is taking me to court to evicte me for August rent but she filled the eviction papers on July 19th. I'm wondering if she is able to do that. I paid all of julys rent but late and also paid the late fee, today when I got the eviction papers they are for 400 dollars more than my rent even...

View more questions Search