Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tyger88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2011, 06:46 PM
    How many years can a mortgage company pursue you for the balance of a mortgage loan?
    We ended up owing way more on our FL home than it was worth when the housing market crashed. We were unable to sell and our mortgage company refused to work anything out with us, so we went into default on the loan and let it go to foreclosure.

We quit paying on the mortgage in 2006 but remained living in the home, saving money in order to move until 8/2007. We were never served eviction papers, we had plans to move back home to AR so we left the house vacant once we were able to do so.
    The mortgage company sold the property in 2008 for $38,000.00, which was a lot less than our mortgage balance of $125,000.00. We were never contacted by the mortgage company in any way after we left the house. The house was sold again in 2009 for $98,000.00, which was slightly above it's appraisal value.

We had discussed our situation with an IRS lady and she said we "should" at some time receive a form from our former lender for tax purposes that states we are either relieved of the debt or we still owe the debt. So far, 5 years later, nothing to that effect has been received.

I had previously heard that a mortgage company has 5 years in which they or another collection company could continue to pursue a debtor for the defaulted motgage loan amount. Is this still true? Should we be concerned about being pursued for this debt or not? Has their time limit run out?

At some point in the near future I'm sure we will file a Chapter 7 to try to re-build our shattered credit, can we do that now or should we wait even longer to be sure they won't pursue us for the mortgage debt?

Thanks for any help or advice you may have.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2011, 08:07 PM

There is a time frame that they may sue you in court for a judgement,

They may on a valid debt attempt collection till the day you die. ( they just can't sue after the SOL runs out)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgage Loan [ 1 Answers ]

I want to put a new house on existing property, however I have a single wide trailer that I owe money on. I want to be able to borrow money from mortgage company and also roll over existing mortgage loan without putting a lot of money down. Is this possible?

Mortgage Loan Company, is it a scam? [ 6 Answers ]

I found a website and they responded to me and offered me a personal loan, but they want me to send in 1500 to secure the loan. Is there anywhere where I can find out if a business is real? Frontier Consolidation Group I have a phone # too.

Refinanced through mortgage lender who never paid off original mortgage company [ 1 Answers ]

I signed closing papers on June 11 with funding to occur on June 16 for the refinance of my home more than 45 days ago. To date (July 31), my original mortgagor has not received the pay-off from the company with whom I refinanced. Since the papers were signed, two payments have become due (and...

36 hours before I close mortgage company refuses to give mortgage? [ 5 Answers ]

I secured a deal for a home with the owner and got a signed contract a month ago. For sale by owner deal. Secured financing at 95%, with 5 % down. Did financing through a broker, and got a locked in deal with countrywide over 3 weeks ago. All is well, appraised for 100K over what I have...

View more questions Search