Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ecodria Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2011, 03:39 PM
    'Medical necessity' housing question from landlord's position
    My father has a family of renters who are not keeping with the rental agreement however, they have a 'medical needs' infant in the house with documentation allowing them to be late on any number of bills and no recourse can be taken. Can they be evicted under Oregon state landlord/tenant laws?
    Machinato Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2011, 03:54 PM
    This one is a very difficult question, but "medical needs" do not allow folks to not pay their bills in full. They can be late, but your state law tells you this cannot be an ongoing problem. Your Dad should take his tenants to the local small claims court immediately. He should first give them written eviction notice telling them to be out in 30-days. I'm certainly not aware of any laws, even in the very liberal state of Oregon, that enables or otherwise encourages late rent payment and simultaneously prevents the landlord from taking necessary action. Why hasn't your Dad seen an attorney? The first visit is always free for goodness sake. By the way, Dad needs to be very sure he is a good landlord before he takes any action - again, he needs to see an attorney right away and quit fooling around with this stuff.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 15, 2011, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Machinato View Post
    ... I'm certainly not aware of any laws, even in the very liberal state of Oregon, that enables or otherwise encourages late rent payment and simultaneously prevents the landlord from taking necessary action. ...
    Nor am I. If there were, I would expect it to be found in this statute:
    ORS 659A.145 Discrimination against individual with disability in real property transactions prohibited; advertising discriminatory preference prohibited; allowance for reasonable modification; assisting discriminatory practices prohibited.
    I see nothing pertaining to that issue there.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2011, 04:43 PM

They may often be given a extra month to find some place else. But you will want an attorney to do the eviction paper work and represent you in court

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical Question [ 2 Answers ]

What would have caused redness that was noticed by a nurse who gave me a smear test last week? Is it something I should be worried about?

Per diem/housing allowance question [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I work road construction and my employer gives us housing pay if we stay at a motel/hotel. It's only $35 a day, but better than nothing I guess. The question I have with it is that it's just added in a lump sum and taxed along with my regular wages. So I have to pay all the taxes out of of it...

Medical question [ 5 Answers ]

Do patients need to follow the unwritten contract to "follow orders" as directed?

Housing Question [ 4 Answers ]

A new child support law became in effect in TN in October 2004, where child support is to be determined by shared income. I filed for divorce in May 2004 but continued to live in the house until March 2005 at which time my wife set child support on me for which I did not have a problem, but the...

View more questions Search