Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teresabjenkins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2011, 01:23 PM
    Military to Military Marriage Different Home of Records
    My husband and I both are active duty military and we have two different "Home of Records". My husband is a NC resident and I am a TN resident (no state tax) I am trying to file MFJ for federal. Everything went well until I went to file state taxes for him. How do I do this? Can I file federal MFJ and State MFS, or do I need to do both MFS?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2011, 01:57 PM
    Most states require you file the same way you filed on the federal return, so you would file Married Filing Jointly.

On the joint NC return, you report all of the income you BOTH earned, but you pay taxes ONLY on HIS income, though probably at a somewhat higher tax rate due to the combined income level.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Military records [ 2 Answers ]

My son in law was arrested and served 20 years for rape while overseas how do I get a copy of his military arrest records. I am concerned for my daughters welfare.

Are Military Criminal Records Public [ 3 Answers ]

I know my estranged husband had a criminal record while serving in the military. Is it possible for me to request those records?

Pre-Employment Background Checks - Military Records [ 1 Answers ]

I was honorably disharged from the Army, but I had an Art 15 (Non-Judicial Punishment) for "Illegal Use f Hallucinogen". NJPs are an administrative action OUTSIDE of the legal system. It is not a misdemeanor, nor is it a felony. It is a mechanism whereby the military can punish its own without...

Military criminal records [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone tell me the proper procedures for the removal of a military criminal record and how much will cost?

View more questions Search