Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    camilla74 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2011, 12:17 PM
    My child's father wants to be in and out of her life
    My child father thinks it is OK for him to come in and out of her life when he wants to. My boyfriend of two years don't like that and say he will leave if I let him back ib the door. I don't want him back in my child life but what can I do to keep him away.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 15, 2011, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by camilla74 View Post
    ... what can I do to keep him away.
    Nothing really. He is the child's father and therefore has the right to be in his child's life.

Your boyfriend does not. He, your boyfriend, has no rights at all unless he marries you and then adopts the child (which in turn cannot normally be done without your ex's permission).

Feb 16, 2011, 12:28 PM
    Thanks so much for that
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2011, 12:36 PM

Does the father pay child support?
    Is there a custody agreement?
    Does he have formal visitation rights?

All these things will affect the answer to your question. If the father is the legal father (were you married when your daughter was born?), he certainly has some rights. But what those rights are can vary. And he can't just show up at your house whenever he likes.

Maybe you could clarify what agreements you have, legal and otherwise and you'll get more detailed answers.

Your boyfriend has no legal standing either way.

Feb 16, 2011, 01:35 PM
    Comment on asking's post
    Well he does pay child support now. He has been paying for about 4 months now that has always been off in on. There is a custody ageemaent but he isn't going by it. Like I said he come when he want to are he doesn't have a girlfriend that's when he wants to see her. I don't like him to do my baby like that. He will want to see her maybe once every 2 months, That's NOT RIGHT . And its hurts my child. I did get my number changed so him and his girlfriend wouldn't be play on my phone, so he can't call me now. He willnt have my new number any more. So what can I do at that point.

Feb 16, 2011, 01:36 PM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    Thanks
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 16, 2011, 02:15 PM

Comment on asking's post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well he does pay child support now. He has been paying for about 4 months now that has always been off in on. There is a custody ageemaent but he isn't going by it. Like I said he come when he want to are he doesn't have a girlfriend that's when he wants to see her. I don't like him to do my baby like that. He will want to see her maybe once every 2 months, That's NOT RIGHT . And its hurts my child. I did get my number changed so him and his girlfriend wouldn't be play on my phone, so he can't call me now. He willnt have my new number any more. So what can I do at that point. (end comment)

You could let him have the child and you and your boyfriend can live happily ever after.

If that sounds unrealistic to you then you need to change your ways. The courts don't like it when the mothers start playing games with the visitation. And right now your boyfriend is being a pig in trying to keep the father away from HIS child.

If you continue this path of hide and seek with the child the courts will willingly take the child from you. Keep that in mind the next time you try to interfere with contact between the father and the child.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 16, 2011, 04:34 PM

The father can't simply come and go. You can require he calls first and makes an appointment. But if you do you have to be reasonable about allowing such appointments.

Other than that you really can't keep him from the child since he has a father's rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to take away paternity rights from my child's father and father agrees [ 3 Answers ]

I want to terminate paternity rights, my sons father does not pay child support & I am not seeking any. He has little or no involment in my sons life. How do we go about terminating paternity?

I don't want father in my child's life but I want his money. [ 8 Answers ]

Although there will be people who want to trash me I will be forward with my situation. I had a one night stand with a friends husband and became pregnant from it. Even though I knew this would destroy his marriage and family, I always wanted a kid and I knew he made good money and would take...

Child's bio father wants back in life! [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My daughter was born almost 13 years ago. Her biological father saw her when she was 2 weeks old and then my daughter and I moved from one state to another. He knew where we went and how to contact us for anything. He chose not to. On her first birthday we got $100.00 and a car seat....

I don't want him in my child's life anymore [ 4 Answers ]

My soon to be ex estranged husband for 7 years has never been there physically finacialy, or emotionly for my 7 year old son. I'm filing for divorce trying to do it on my own but I've come to a glitch. He says he don't want nothing to do with our son he wants to start over. So he heard from a...

View more questions Search