Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    a4alagu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2011, 10:58 PM
    How do I connect a cisco 3750G-12S-S to a 2960S-48TS-S
    Scenario 1: How do I connect a 3750G-12S-S to a (non-PoE) 2960S-24TS-S?
    And
    Scenario 2: How do I connect a 3750G-12S-S to a (PoE) 2960S-24PS-L?

Please tell me as to what cable, sfp plugs.. etc. I have no clue as to what I need. If possible please do past the part code and links.
    (ONLY CISCO PRODUCTS)
    Thanks in ADVANCE!
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Feb 19, 2011, 03:17 PM
    PoE or non-PoE makes no difference in this case. PoE means that if the device that you connect into the switch (say a Cisco VoIP phone or a WAP) can receive power over ethernet then it will negotiate and receive power. Otherwise any Ethernet device can be plugged into either switch.

In both scenarios you will need an SFP (GLC-SX-MM=) for both switches. You will need a Multimode fiber cable that has LC connectors on both ends to plug into the SFPs.

So for parts you will need this:

Four GLC-SX-MM=
    Two LC-LC MM Fiber Cables

The SFP is a Cisco part number while the cable you can pick up anywhere online for any length you need. I'm assuming the switches are within proximity of each other (i.e. less than 550 meters). If they are further than that you will need to switch to Single Mode cables with appropriate SFP. Here are the SFPs that Cisco offers along with their distance limits as well as the laser wavelengths:

GLC-SX-MM: 1804 feet (550 m)
    GLC-LH-SM: 6.2 miles (10 km)
    GLC-ZX-SM: 43.5 to 62.1 miles (70 to 100 km)

Hope that helps.
    antproofcase Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2012, 08:55 AM
    Since you didn't specify needing to run fiber, there is another way.

You don't have to do multimode fiber connections, or use 4 SFP's, either... for the 3750 side, you would need 2 GLC-TX SFP's in 2 of the 12 slots. You can just run the copper cat5/6 connections between that and fixed copper ports on the 2960. On a 2960S-24PS-L, they should all be gig-capable. If you want to use the 4 SFP slots on the 2960, then you'd need 2 more of the GLC-TX SFP's. Cisco switches unilaterally will go "errdisable" on non-Cisco SFP's, but you can get around that with (I believe) "service unsupported-transceiver" in config mode. If that command doesn't work, I'm sure a little google-fu will produce the right CLI verbiage. Hope that helps.
    antproofcase Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2012, 08:57 AM
    One more thing... if you are worried about the POE side... just use the config-if command: power inline never and disable POE on that side.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deleted Cisco IOS [ 4 Answers ]

I accidentally deleted the IOS on my Cisco 851w router :confused:. I can only boot to Rommon and do not have a copy of the IOS or bin file to load. Is there a way I can recover the deleted IOS? I have the CD that came with the router however I cannot find the IOS anywhere on the CD which is very...

Under 12s football team in glasgow [ 2 Answers ]

My son is looking for a fooball team in glasgow that he can get a trial he is 11 in march and plays central midfielder if anyone can give me any suggestions please please please get in touch.

Cisco & HP switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have two switch, cisco catalyst 2800 and HP Procurve switch, when I connect them with short cable everything works fine but when I have connected them with 25 m Cat 6E cable, no connection has occurred between them, so what can I do? Thank you in advance

I have t wo CISCO ROUTER at different location How can connect them for Telephony [ 1 Answers ]

I have t wo CISCO ROUTER at different location How can connect them for Telephony

Can anyone help on Cisco IOS 12.1 ? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, By accident while I was configuring my Cisco router I've deleted the OS, just doing a simple save like : copy run start, and I didn't look at the message, and I pressed Enter, and he deleted the IOS, does any one have a copy from the Cisco IOS 12.1 or higher ? I've a Cisco 800...

View more questions Search