Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CodyCF Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2011, 01:53 PM
    How many times does God refer to himself as " I am"?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 14, 2011, 01:58 PM

"I am" appears in the Bible 719 times -- 508 times in the Old Testament and 211 times in the New Testament.
    CodyCF Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2011, 02:03 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    Thank you for the help!

Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2011, 06:09 AM

Uhhh I don't think that's the answer, there's a lot of dialogue in the bible, not all of it is god talking.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 15, 2011, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin View Post
    uhhh i don't think that's the answer, there's a lot of dialogue in the bible, not all of it is god talking.
    You're right. I didn't go far enough. From Wikipedia --

The word Ehyeh is used a total of 43 places in the Hebrew Bible, where it is usually translated as "I will be" -- as is the case for its first occurrence, in Genesis 26:3—or "I shall be," as is the case for its final occurrence in Zechariah 8:8. It stems from the Hebrew conception of monotheism that God exists by himself, the uncreated Creator who does not depend on anything or anyone; therefore I am who I am.
    HeadStrongBoy Posts: 351, Reputation: -4

Mar 8, 2011, 02:11 PM
    The name Jehovah, or Yahweh, both are derived from the four Hebrew letters Yod, He, Waw, He (YHWH).

That name appears about 7000 times in the Old Testament. Though the translators have changed YHWH to LORD. So wherever you see the word LORD (all capitalized) in the Old Testament, you may legitimately substitute YHWH. (Yahweh, or Jehovah, or Yehovah)

And the name itself (YHWH) means I am, I was, or I will be. In other words it's a form of the verb 'to be.' So you might say, quite accurately, that almost every reference to God in the Bible has to do with "I am." Because that is one of his main characteristics.

What many are not aware of is that the name Jesus is actually the Greek version of Joshua. Or Yahshua is the Hebrew equivalent of Jesus. As we can see if we hyphenate Yah-shua, is that the first syllable of Joshua ia actually YaH. YaH is a contraction, the short form, of YaHWeH. Therefore the complete name Jesus is actually Yahweh-Hoshua. Meaning "I am" is the savior. I've entered the vowels in YaHWeH in lower case because originally the Hebrew alef-bet had no vowels. That is why we can end up with Jehovah or Yahweh as equivalents.

In conclusion, every time we see the name Jesus we can substitute "I AM THE SAVIOR." So God (Jesus) refers to Himself as "I AM" almost everywhere in the whole Bible. Though it is not obvious unless you know how to decipher the hidden meaning in the ancient Hebrew names.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1997 subaru legacy gt automatic idles high at times and low at times. [ 1 Answers ]

1997 legacy gt will idle high and take off like a rocket and at times idle low and be very sluggish taking off. Any suggestions?

Did God die on the Cross? Is Mary the Mother of God? [ 10 Answers ]

Did God die on the Cross? Is Mary the Mother of God? If God died on the Cross then Mary is the Mother of God, the same logic applies to both. I say that God died on the Cross because Jesus is God and Jesus died on the Cross. I say that Mary is the Mother of God, because Jesus is God and...

Science Vs. Religion (GOD) continued: GOD created man in his own image. [ 145 Answers ]

K, so we can argue till the cows come home, about this but there is a lot of good feed back from the last one I had, I like to hear others ideas. I"m going to simplify this one though, to avoid loosing the topic. Lets go with the idea that some scientific professionals believe that...

View more questions Search