Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RG Kilian Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Self defense in home
    I am being tried for threatening. Someone entered my home, I told them to get out... they refused, so I called 911. The next day I was arrested for telling him I'd pick up a knife if he wouldn't get out of my face. Since I was in my own home & he had no right here & I called the police for help, don't I have a defense?
    lil_mandy Posts: 36, Reputation: 5

Jan 17, 2007, 02:33 PM
    In the eyes of the police and that they look upon threats with weapons as serious that's why you were probably arrested .You do have rights in your own home yes , but the only thing is calling the police is way! Way better to dealing with people like that , that way the police or that can deal with it and arrest the person as a tresspasser otherwise ud get into trouble like you did hope that helps x
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Hello RG:

If he was attacking you, you had the right to pick up the knife to defend yourself. You do NOT have the right to threaten to do it.

excon
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2007, 11:41 PM
    Where do you live?

I would pin a metal on you. If someone breaks into my house, I will take out a knife, bat, whatever to get them out.

The cops take FOREVER to respond.

Get a lawyer, talk with him.

Elect for a jury trial if it comes to that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 18, 2007, 07:24 AM
    You don't say HOW he entered your home. As excon said you don't have a right to threaten an unarmed person with a knife or gun, even if they are trespassing.

So what you do is press charges for trespassing and harassment. Turn about is fair play (see here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...tml#post257887)

Jan 19, 2007, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello RG:

If he was attacking you, you had the right to pick up the knife to defend yourself. You do NOT have the right to threaten to do it.

excon
    I have a temporal lobe brain injury & on a medication I was having a bad reaction to. I have a letter from my doctor stating the meds were having a bad affect on me. Doesn't this carry any weight?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2007, 04:33 PM
    Hello again, RG:

It should carry some weight, especially when it comes to sentencing. Tell your lawyer. He'll know what to do.

excon

Jan 19, 2007, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    Where do you live?

I would pin a metal on you. If someone breaks into my house, I will take out a knife, bat, whatever to get them out.

The cops take FOREVER to respond.

Get a lawyer, talk with him.

Elect for a jury trial if it comes to that.

I live in Maine & am going through this four years later. Therefore, I feel there is no hope for American justice & am awaiting Permanent Residency in Canada. Someone said to press charges against him for tresspassing and harassment. There was an accord & satisfaction & he is long gone. I had a post conviction & won. Now the courts are playing games with me again. Did I mention I work with the courts? My email is [email protected]. It's great chatting with a fellow Canadian. There it would have never been a crime. I was in my house period. He never should have been here.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Hello, sorry but in many states in the US if you can escape, even if it is your own home, you have to escape not use force, or threat of force.
    So if someone breaks in, you tell them to leave and they don't, you are suppose to run and call the police.

This sounds like someone you know and is more of a domestic ( friends) sort of issue which is viewed very different.

And of course it is a defense, but a defense in court, so at your trial you can tell them it was in defense. But the defense would have to be in reaction to something they did to make you in fear for your life, not merely for not leaving.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2007, 07:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RG Kilian
    I live in Maine & am going through this four years later. Therefore, I feel there is no hope for American justice & am awaiting Permanent Residency in Canada. Someone said to press charges against him for tresspassing and harassment. There was an accord & satisfaction & he is long gone. I had a post conviction & won. Now the courts are playing games with me again. Did I mention I work with the courts? My email is [email protected]. It's great chatting with a fellow Canadian. There it would have never been a crime. I was in my house period. He never should have been here.
    Glad to hear that you won.

But if he is long gone, how can they even be brining this up again?

And what about double jeopardy?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DUI Defense [ 9 Answers ]

I was accused of DUI in Los Angeles County. The main facts I have in my favour are: 1. The police did not actually stop me because my car was out of gas. 2. The car was not turned on. 3. The keys were not in the ignition. 4. The police can not prove when I stopped driving. 5. The...

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

Does anyone know the laws of self defense in Maine? [ 3 Answers ]

I am being charged with the crime of assault. In a Maine district court. On August 29, 2004 an ex- friend and I were involved in an altercation. My friend was drunk coming back from a bar when he decided to try and take my cars keys without my consent. As I told him to give me back my car keys he...

Defense against immoral conduct? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, A friend(Key Word) and school advisor recently divorced. Her husband had me served with a Arbitration Paper. It claims immoral acts on my part caused his divorce. I have never been to there home, and have several E-Mails from her which show I rebuked her advances and that I was only talking...

Basketball tips and offensive and defense play [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I really need help on my skills because today I had practice and we were going over new plays and I mess up on one of my plays and I was getting so fustrated and then one of the players got fustrated and I think she fustrated at me because I keep on messing up and my coach was fustrated too...

View more questions Search