Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starsbooty Posts: 119, Reputation: 7

Jan 17, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Taking advantage or what?
    So I got this job a little over 3 months ago through a temp agency, when I interviewed they said I would be a receptionist/ admin assist. I do NOT do any reception or admin assist. I am in the shipping dept. handling mail and shipping and receiving. When I started working they offered me $13, which I felt was fine for being a recep. Now that I am supposed to become permanent and took on the title of shipping/recieving manager and customer service operator, I feel that my $13 is no where near enough. I found out that the receptionist makes $7 more then I do, and that's the position I was origanally hired for. Second, my manager says things that I feel are unappropraite. i.e. "wow what a dumb question come on!" or walking down the stairs he said " walk in front of me i like to see u walk" both of these comments made me feel uncomfortable, but because I am not perm yet I feel I can do nothing about this. He is also very confusing, he'll tell me to do something on my own without him telling me and when I start doing it he gets mad and says why didn't u tell me... what am I supposed to do, also this morning, he told me to carry like 5 boxes full of 10 packs of paper, all heavy, he saw me struggeling and just stood there and watched... I can not afford to lose this job, but I can not take this.. what am I supposed to do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 17, 2007, 01:36 PM
    The "see you walk" comment was out of line and should have been reported to HR. As to the rest, only you can decide whether the job is for you or not.
    kanicky73 Posts: 484, Reputation: 63

Jan 17, 2007, 01:38 PM
    Ever see the movie North Country? You should rent it this weekend and then file sexual harassment charges on Monday! Sorry if that was really blunt but I have no patience for men who think that they can talk to women like that in a work atmosphere or anywhere else for that matter. I had a job for 4 years and put up with so many comments, it made me feel so horrible. Then I finally had enough and the next comment he made to me was his last! Don't be afraid, its not your fault. Don't let him do this to anymore women, because I am sure he has done it before.
    BIM Posts: 245, Reputation: 50

Jan 17, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Document, Document, Document. You need to keep track of the comments, dates, and times and then back the arshole against the wall.

Secondly--is this job work the humiliation and stress, I don't think so. I would be looking for something else.

Good luck.

Jan 17, 2007, 01:43 PM
    See, but I don't know if he was serious because he laughed, and that is just one of the many problems here. What do you guys feel about the pay difference, when that's what I origanilly was hired for... I make 7 dollars less then her, and I did her job better and clearer. Now I'm taking on all these other titles and roles and am still getting paid less, also he kind of giggled and said " after your 3 month probation there is a slim possability of a 50 cent raise" and then smiled and walked away.. is he just playing mind games or what the H3*% is going on?

Jan 17, 2007, 02:17 PM
    First of all, whether he was kidding or not doesn't matter. It made you feel uncomfortable and the definition of "sexual harrasment" is any type of behavior that makes you feel incomfortable. Having said that, have you gone to the person who actually hired you and asked these questions about the pay or is he the one who hired you?
    lil_mandy Posts: 36, Reputation: 5

Jan 17, 2007, 02:29 PM
    1st tif this is a job that you'd want 2 keep then fair enuf , but the thing is the guy is a jerk , I do agree with some of the otgers he sounds like he is heading 2wards sexual harassment if he says such things .I suggest if possible make a complant to a senior in the work place or a complaint to the temp agency about how you got interviewed for 1 but got paid less and got another job .

I suggest if you can't get a permanent position as a recpetion please try temp agency again the more experience etc you have the better your cv looks am sorrie that's isn't much help , hope it helps

Jan 17, 2007, 03:38 PM
    He is the one who hired me, and also thank every body so much for all advice because this situation is driving me nuts..
    I also wanted to ask.. I have started writing things down, and I know I can go to human resources but I do not want to get anybody in trouble and I don't want to snitch. I just want to do the job I was hired for and I wouldn't even have to deal with him at all...

Jan 17, 2007, 03:53 PM
    I totally understand what your saying here but you did not do anything wrong and jerks like him get away with it too many times. I would definetely go to HR, they will confront him about it because they have to. And most likely he will make some snide comment to you next time he sees you and then you go to HR again, this will not be tolerated! If he is smart he will keep his mouth shut after he is repremanded, because sexual harassment suits cost company's lots of money and he will be made aware of that. But he doesn't sound very smart so you may end up taking it further. Let us know what happens.
    pennybot Posts: 57, Reputation: 18

Jan 20, 2007, 05:10 PM
    My advice to you is to be extremely cautious about this. If anything goes outside your comfort zone, head to HR like everyone here has told you.

looking at this as a worse case scenario:

Not saying anything gives him the idea that this is all “O.K.”
    You wouldn't feel that but he will read your reactions differently than you do. Just when you thought people could be slimy enough, they can surprise you.

The more you let it slide, the worse it gets and harder it is to pin them on it. They can even turn around and use it against you.
    “You liked it before”

You don’t just encourage him(that's his point of view), but especially corrupt companies will try to skew it so you almost seem like the criminal should you not be on the ball.
    Should he ever progress to physical advances on you and you want to press charges, the company might get really sneaky and ask you why you didn’t report the first time he verbally advanced on you. Especially if you go to all the trouble of writing it down but not following through on it.

Has anyone in the company ever covered "harassment in the work place" with you?
    If the answer is yes, then that could also be held against you for not reporting him.

It all comes down to who is going to be liable for his actions. If the company feel they have covered their butt and can't part with a dime, they'll try to get you on what you missed.

These are all things to think about that any time you’re in this situation. Be diligent and vigilant on your information and reports.
    And though I've provided you with worse case scenario and not likely to fit all companies, just the worst of the worst try anything to get out of paying a dime or being liable. You want to be prepared for the worst when in this kind of situation.

Normally i say, give anyone a chance. But sexual predators: give them none.

personally, I don't think any job is worth that. Why do it if you can make money doing anything else you might enjoy.
    No one is stopping you from looking for work while you are there. Many people do this. They look for work, get a contract and give their notice and move on. Don't think of this job as an end all.
    nikki0322 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 06:14 AM
    Not a good situation. If you are still a temp call them and let them know what has been going on. Are they aware of the change in job titles? Are they aware of what comments have been made?? I agree that things should be documented. I feel NO one should be treated in this matter and the situation should be told. I know you need this job but is it really worth it? I think you could do a lot better.

Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother In Law taking advantage of us [ 8 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I love each other very much and we have a wonderful little boy called Alex who is now three (I am 34 and she is 25). Her mum looked after Alex for well over a year as both of us worked. We paid her £300pcm for that as she had bus fares to pay for from her house to ours, which she...

How do I make him stop taking advantage [ 7 Answers ]

I have been with the same guy for 7 years. I know that he is not using me for sex because our sex life is not that active. I do think/know he takes advantage of my kindness and of me finanically. How do I stop this from happening. I am a nice person by nature and would do almost anything to make...

How do I use Back Taxes to my advantage? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My name is Curtis and I live in Michigan. My two brothers and I are starting a partnership to buy houses cheap and flip them for profit. We know there is a way to pick up houses with back taxes on them for cheap. However, none of us have experience doing this. I was wondering if you...

Taking the hyphen off last name. [ 7 Answers ]

How can I take the hyphenated name off my son's last name? The father has not been a part of my son's life and now I don't know where he is even living. Everybody except the school board refers to my son by just my last name.

How to locate and take advantage of opprtunities around me? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a big problem. People who are less educated than me, those who don't work as hard as me, those who are not as devoted as me grow and make progress. But I always lag behind. This surprises not only me but to my friends and relatives too. Sometimes I even become a laughing stock or a person to...

View more questions Search