Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OliversMom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2011, 11:19 AM
    Gifted 2-year old?
    I am wondering if I can get some opinions on whether my son may be gifted. He is 25 months old.

Since infancy, we have had the feeling that our son was a little different. As a baby, he slept very little, was colicky, and seemed extraordinarily alert and sensitive. In short, he was high needs.

His motor skills seem on target (certainly not delayed) for his age. He throws and catches a ball, jumps on two feet, stacks blocks, etc. We don't think he shows exceptional math aptitude, though he recognizes and names many shapes, including octagons and can count to 10 (I think this is typical).

The two areas where I see possible above-average development are in the areas of language and intellectual curiosity. His speaking vocabulary is 500+ words and of course he can understand many more than that. He also creates fairly complex sentences, regularly using words like "and," "maybe," and "actually." Some examples of things he has said recently: "People live on planet earth." "That's Uncle Erik's ball shirt when he was a little boy." "Mommy and Oliver drove in the car to Wisconsin. Daddy and Uncle Peter drove the moving van." (we moved when he was 18 months old). These are just typical examples of things he says - not the most complex or astounding.

He sings the alphabet song and recognizes all upper case letters and some lower case letters. He understands that letters can form words, which represent things and ideas. He has a chalkboard and asks me to write words on it.

Our son is very curious and very active. He constantly asks questions and wants to read all the time. I mean all the time. I never thought I'd live to see the day when I would want my child to stop wanting to read so much.

Some anecdotes:

He can distinguish between some genres of music. For example, if he hears a jazz song (even for the first time), he can recognize "That's jazz." One thing he did recently that surprised me was when he was strumming on his father's guitar and then asked for a song (that we haven't listened to in a while) that happens to have a strong lead guitar strumming. Clearly, he made the connection between the sound of his strumming and the sound of the guitar in that song.

While visiting his grandmother recently (before his 2nd birthday) he saw a model helicopter in a locked glass cabinet. We told him we couldn't take it out, so he said, "Get scissors. Make a window."

Thanks so much for your time and responses.

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 11, 2011, 11:30 AM

I don't think you can have your child tested until he starts grade 1 or 2. If the teacher recognizes any of the attributes you mention, then I am sure she will recommend him to be tested.

Tick
    Motochick Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2011, 12:58 PM
    You would need to wait a while until he starts school and he can get tested in the first grade. Just ask the principal or gifted teacher about this test. They will test his creativity (or his ability to "think outside the box") and his intelligence. It is better to get him tested earlier because this test gets more intellectual the later you wait. Hope this helped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 year old gifted or very bright? [ 60 Answers ]

Hi everyone, The director of the day care where my son goes twice a week believes that he may be gifted. She wants to have him assessed. I have done a lot of reading up on this subject, and have looked at the characteristics of gifted children... but I am still not sure if he is just very...

Is my 4 year old son gifted? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi. I believe my son who's nearly four may be gifted. Since a very young age he has been ablt to do so many things. He can count endessly and count backwards. He can do a bit of addition, can spell quite a lot of words, his full name, and most of our family members names. He can read books and...

Is my 2 year old verbally gifted? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter is 28 months old. She had a vocabulary of over 200 words by 18 months and was speaking in 10+ word sentences before 2 years. She knows concepts such as; before and after, first, tomorrow, sharing and many others that we, and those she meets constantly find astounding. She has...

Gifted one year old [ 4 Answers ]

Is my 16 months old gifted? If yes, what do I need to do? - Ability to sit still and watch his favorite video by 3 months - Able to read and pick words when ask on flash card by 6 months - Sign more, eat, milk, daddy, water and follows directions like don’t touch and please come back by 9...

Do you think my 5 year is gifted [ 11 Answers ]

Are you able to tell me if this is Asperger of Giftness Traits? My 5 year always been different since birth. Never slept through the night, very fussy, very picky with eat at birth. But now he's 5 years old and he's *Very demanding *Impatience *Emotionally sensitive *Curious of...

View more questions Search