Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Inquisitive Pastor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 09:51 AM
    Turning over a new leaf
    I am doing research for an upcoming sermon and would like to know if the saying "turning over a new leaf" is figurative or literal? Does something happen when you turn a leaf over? Is there a reason for doing it? Any info you can provide would be great.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 17, 2007, 10:28 AM
    I thought that turning over a new leaf was related to books... as in turning over the leaf (page) of a book. To turn over a new leaf was to start fresh on a new page of the book.
    TripleL Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 17, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitive Pastor
    I am doing research for an upcoming sermon and would like to know if the saying "turning over a new leaf" is figurative or literal? Does something happen when you turn a leaf over? Is there a reason for doing it? Any info you can provide would be great.
    Also, think about what a new leaf looks like when it is turned over? You see the freshness of the leaf, the new anchors of the leaf - still strong and vibrant - the youthfullness of this new leaf. Take a mental picture of what Spring looks like - from that I am sure you can build a beautiful sermon.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2007, 11:59 AM
    I am closer to Synnen, what a pastor does part way through his sermon. I am somewhat familiar with gardening and nature, and I can't think of new leaves turning over. New leaves my leaf out, but don't turn over except when the tree is trying to conserve water.
    Inquisitive Pastor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitive Pastor
    Thank you for your responses. They have helped tremendously. Why I didn't think about the new page in a book before. I guess when you hear a word your mind goes to a specific item and gets stuck there.
    Triple L I really appreciate your comment and I will also use your response in my sermon. It has helped to get my creative juices flowing again. Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ran leaf blower without oil [ 13 Answers ]

My darling wife ran a Craftsman leaf blower with straight gas - no oil mixed in. It ran about 10 minutes then stopped. The starter cord will not pull. I took it apart and can see what is stopping the cord - 2 spring loaded arms are hitting a round, grooved plastic piece in such a way that it stops...

Leaf blower lost power [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman 25cc blower that has worked great for several seasons. I've been using gas from the same can for a while-- no problems. I put new gas in and now it is very difficult to start and when it does, has very little power. Thinking my mixture could be wrong, I ran a full tank and...

Craftsman 2 cycle 230 mph leaf blower [ 4 Answers ]

I accidentally used regular Castrol 2 cycle motor oil (instead of craftsman synthetic) and now the engine is seized. What do I have to do to repair the engine? The manual states to only use synthetic so I assume Sears will not repair this unit as it is only 4 months old.

Single Alabaster Light Kit With Decorative Leaf [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am looking for a Single Alabaster Light Kit With Decorative Leaf for a Hampton Bay ceiling fan Model Antiqua. Can you please tell me shere I can find this item? Thanks, TOm MIller:)

Leaf Blower Engine started to smoke [ 1 Answers ]

My electric powered leaf blower started to slow down and when I unplugged it, it started to smoke through the air vents. Is the engine shot and I need a new one, or should I attempt opening it up and "taking a look?" Thanks ! Helen

View more questions Search