Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 10, 2011, 02:42 PM
    Dispute with answer to a test question.
    The question was:

"The code places a maximum open circuit voltage in or on homes. This maximum voltage is (600) (750 (1000). Circle the correct answer.

Where in NEC is this voltage referenced?"

The answer was given as 1000 volts and NEC 410.80(B).

Since the wiring used is listed as 600 volts, I selected 600. When I went to check the code site, it is non existent.

So where in the NEC is this voltage referenced? I ask this because I cannot find it anywhere in the code book.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2011, 03:13 PM
    Here you go:

From the 2008 Edition of the NEC, page 70-276

XIV. Special Provisions for Electric-Discharge Lighting Systems of More Than 1000 Volts

410.140 General.

(A) Listing. Electric-discharge lighting systems with an open-circuit voltage exceeding 1000 volts shall be listed and installed in conformance with that listing.
    (B) Dwelling Occupancies. Equipment that has an opencircuit voltage exceeding 1000 volts shall not be installed in or on dwelling occupancies.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 10, 2011, 06:20 PM

Thank you.

I had found 410.130(A) but the cite you gave gives the prohibition.

Either cite tells me to give up the fight (metaphorically speaking)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2011, 03:33 AM
    I do not see the answer you seek in Section 410.130(A).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Three year old won't answer a question, he only repeats the question... any thoughts? [ 7 Answers ]

I have three children who have never had any learning troubles however I babysit 2 kids each day that seem to be a little socially awkward. The oldest (age 5 1/2) won't look me in the eye and can't follow a multi-step instruction. The younger (age 3) has never been able to answer a question I ask...

Physics question... with answer, yet I don't know how to get the answer. [ 2 Answers ]

In order to qualify for the finals in a racing event, a car must achieve an average speed of 270 Km/h on a track with a total length of 1410 m. If a particular car covers the first half of the track at an average speed of 232 km/h, what minimum average speed must it have in the second half of the...

View more questions Search