Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lnl232699 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Military, should I join?
    I've been wondering if I should join the military. I love the military, there's only one thing stoping me. It's kind of lame, but I'm terrifed of needles. I have to get blood taken to join, I'm scared. I know I shouldn't let my fear stand in the way of my dreams, but it's standing right in the middle of the path. I don't know what to do. Of course I have a back up plan to fall on, I just want to lay out my options.
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Jan 17, 2007, 02:34 AM
    Hello lnl232699,

The fact that you suffer from the fear of needles (Enetophobia) and vaccinations (vaccinophobia) should not really deter you from joining anything, except perhaps the medical profession.

Virtually everyone has a phobia of one sort or another.

This phobia is very common and I am sure there are ways you can overcome it.

Having served in the forces myself, I came across a few soldiers who had the same problem.

At various stages of your life you will need to have contact with a needle. Whether it be for blood tests or vaccinations. The same will apply either in the services or not.

It is no slight on your courage because you have this phobia but I would advise you to try to overcome the problem.

There are many websites which deal with this problem and a simple search should bring them up. One site is:

How can I help my son overcome his fear of needles?

I developed a pathological fear of bees, wasps & hornets and every time I was close to one I went absolutely bananas. I could not help it.

In the end I decided that I was going to overcome my fear and I made a conscious effort to slowly learn to love these little critters. I studied them and learnt about their lifestyles and began getting closer and closer to them until after a couple of years I feared them no more. In fact I learnt to love everything about them. Even if one lands on me, I no longer panic.

I believe a lot of psychologists use this type of method. I simply did it myself.

Basically, I believe the best way for you to overcome your phobia is to psychologically convince yourself that these objects hold no danger and are there to help you.

When the necessity arises when you do need a vaccination or blood test, simply don't look, turn your head away and try to think of something pleasant.

These attempts may not be successful but I hope you agree it is worth a try.

I am wondering if you are affected when you get pricked when doing other things. For example, a piece of broken glass pricks your finger when picking it up, when you are picking berries or handling rose stems.

It may not be successful but I hope you agree it is worth a try.

Success has also been achieved through hypnotherapy, but is not 100% guaranteed.

Good luck and if you do enrol into the services I hope you have a very happy and successful career.

Cy
    (Poseidon)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 17, 2007, 07:36 AM
    I moved this out of introductions into carreers,

Please take a moment and introduce yourself in the INTRO area.

Also you will have to have 100's of blood tests though the years, for the vaccinations, the last I knew they don't use needles in the military for that, they have a machine that merely uses air to push it though the skin.
    Guppy Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Apr 6, 2007, 06:37 PM
    I'm in the armed forces (navy special operations) and I would recommend it - its been a life changing experience for me.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 6, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Sure why not. As Chuck said the needles are the least of your worries. Just close your eyes and don't look at the needle or the person giving it or anything and think abut something else (sex works well)
    JEG666 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lnl232699
    I've been wondering if i should join the military. I love the military, there's only one thing stoping me. It's kind of lame, but i'm terrifed of needles. I have to get blood taken to join, i'm scared. I know i shouldn't let my fear stand in the way of my dreams, but it's standing right in the middle of the path. I don't know what to do. Of course i have a back up plan to fall on, i just want to lay out my options.
    Getting blood taken is a major part of joining the military or any part of the Armed Forces as they want to make sure that everyone that they employ is fit and healthy. The easiest way when getting blood took is to look away and concentrate on something within the room that way you don't realise that the blood is being taken. Hope you decide to take your career in the military further and have a good life

Jamie
    jasondbel Posts: 165, Reputation: -6

Jan 25, 2008, 09:57 PM
    I served 6 yrs in the navy. I was injected every 3 months with something. Been to Iraq 3 times. Ive taken anthrax etc... I have not been sick in years. I cannot remember the last time I was sick. I hated needles myself. DO NOT miss out on the military just because of some needles. They hurt for a second then its over. The military was the best years of my life thus far.
    13sldr Posts: 237, Reputation: 17

Jan 25, 2008, 10:56 PM
    The militray is a great opportunity, and some people are cut out for it, so if you think you can handle it, don't let something so small crush such big dreams
    douger2006 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 11:50 PM
    I am retired military. It's weird for me. I welcomed everything. Nothing scarred me. Not even the dentist visits. Now since I am retired, things have changed. A simple dentist visit terrifies me. I hate going. But I know when things need to get done, I push myself to take care of it. I don't know what changed my thoughts since I got older. When someone tells me to take care of something, I automatically get nervous about it. Why, I don't know. But once I jump into it, I stand up, take charge of the situation and get er done.
    I think the same may apply to you. How bad do you want this goal for yourself? Just take the step, and overcome the fears. Fear really is in your mind. Don't think about it so much before it happens. That applies to almost everything. You will be a mess if you think about things all night long before it takes place. Majority of the time, it turns out easier than you had thought. When I was in boot camp, you walked down a line and they had some sort of needle air guns, that they shot in both arms as you walked by. It was no big deal. It happens in a second, and you are done and move on to the next event. Just keep strong and you will conquer. Don't hesitate or ponder on things that make you worried. Just shoot for your goals and be determined to see them out. Good luck.
    Karridog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2008, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lnl232699
    I've been wondering if i should join the military. I love the military, there's only one thing stoping me. It's kind of lame, but i'm terrifed of needles. I have to get blood taken to join, i'm scared. I know i shouldn't let my fear stand in the way of my dreams, but it's standing right in the middle of the path. I don't know what to do. Of course i have a back up plan to fall on, i just want to lay out my options.
    A therapist can help you overcome your fear of needles or your fear of anything for that matter. Americans are getting news that has been censored. If you want real news, watch/listen to C-Span and Public Broadcasting. A new news site is Real News. No commercials and no ratings. The unvarnished facts. If you enlist, you will more than likely be sent to Iraq. Go to YouTube and search Iraq War. You will get many viewpoints. There have been record suicides, and some military refuse to fight. The worst injury is brain damage. One of every five injuries is brain injury. This war is not a moral and just war. Currently 80% of Americans want the troops home, but the warmongers defy the American public and continue the war. I wish you the best.
    jasondbel Posts: 165, Reputation: -6

Jul 9, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    You will NOT have hundreds of needles this guy is a lame! I served six years I might have had 20 shots 10 being anthrax
    Steel_Dragon5 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 05:36 AM
    Ok, I have not had one of your blood things, but I have had hundreds of shots, and what I see 1 big shot could get you your dream... go on get the needle... thing... Plus, the military will be harder than that... you have to like eat nails for breakfast... Oh yeah the military sounds great
    Armygirl80 Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Nov 15, 2008, 08:46 PM

Definitely join the Military:) I'm in the Army and LOVE IT!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking join [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed a new tap . At one of the joins, it drips - rate around a bucket a day. I have several times used teflon tape, without success. The problem is that I find I have to tighten it quite hard so that the tap is accessible . Is there an alternative to teflon tape and how effective is...

Leaking pipe - at join [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have noticed a leak in my water system. It is on the main cold water inflow pipe, a few feet after the stopcock, and it occurs at a joint between a pipe and a 'Limekiller' water softener. It looks to me as if the sealant where the two pipes meet is cracked or porous. How can I fix this...

How to join two 3-way switches [ 3 Answers ]

I have a balcony with overhead lights between two 3-way switches. I also have another 3-way switch that operates lights to the stairs. Presently there are two switches side-by-side that operate the balcony lights and the stair lights. Question: Is it possible to join theses two switches...

How do I do an Inner join in MySQL? [ 1 Answers ]

Please could someone assist?

View more questions Search