Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 10, 2011, 04:57 AM
    Train a cat not to be underfoot?
    I was always just a dog person and felt that cats were out to kill me by sending me flying down a flight of stairs. Then I got a kitten and of course fell in love with feline attributes, but now that she is 7 months she is really underfoot much too much. I and my elderly father can't afford to fall, much less down steps. Has anyone ever trained a cat to stay clear? I trained her to not bite and scratch us when I first got her (lots of sharp nos), and later to ring some bells on the door to be let in (I rang them each time I let her in). Both took only about 2 days. I just don't think yelling no is clearly related to being underfoot.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 10, 2011, 05:05 AM

Previous cat, quite a few years ago, got stepped on once after running across my path and never did it again, but Pickle, now present, has never learned the art of staying clear, even though she has been stepped on. When you learn how let me know. I can't afford a fall either, by tripping over a cat !

Tick
    current pert

Feb 10, 2011, 06:01 AM
    Now I am curious about tickle and Pickle and if there is a name trend in your household...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 10, 2011, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Now I am curious about tickle and Pickle and if there is a name trend in your household...

**laughing** (hate lol). No, purely coincidental, joypulv. I have no idea why I chose 'tickle' (reduced to 'tick' by excon a long time ago), and Pickle, well, when she was a kitten she was always in a pickle, so husband named her that. At the moment she is in the bathroom with husband killing the bathmat for the upteenth time (she is about 5 years old I guess). She is husbands cat by choice (his and hers).

My good girl, hound X is called Brook. It's a good thing she is not called "Brick". Then it would be tick, brick and pick; then your assumption would have been correct!

You created quite a chuckle for me this morning before off to work, thank you.

tick
    current pert

Feb 10, 2011, 07:59 AM
    I don't mind LOL so much, especially strung together as in LOLOLOL. Or as Monk said in one episode, LOL out loud.
    horn1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2012, 05:23 PM
    My cat, Mippy, is always underfoot in the kitchen especially. He's gotten stepped on a few times but never seems to "get it". I don't want to hurt him or have one of us fall either. If there are any tricks, I'd love to know!
    current pert

Aug 11, 2012, 05:34 PM
    Hi horn1, this was an eternity ago (18 months, wow) and I am happy to report that my cat has stopped being underfoot. Unfortunately the person I was most concerned about, my dad, has been gone 14 months.
    One thing that might have helped is that I stopped any canned food (I don't use AC and it gets moldy very fast) AND I give her all the dry kibble she wants. Being underfoot I think was related to wanting to be fed for the most part. When she wants to go out, she leads me, walking at least 5 feet ahead. Good kitty.
    horn1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2012, 02:37 PM
    The reading I've done makes me believe he just wants to be close to us (rescue kitty -- long story), since he eats some of his food and then comes right back to be where we are. I've learned to step carefully and watch whenever I push out a chair from the table.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Litter train an adult cat [ 2 Answers ]

My mother had a stray cat come to her house and have kitten's. We are very animal friendly so we keep all the cats we couldn't give away. Needless to say one of the cat's we keep was a female who after almost a year got pregnant. She only had two kittens. One died the other I brought home when it...

How do I Train my new puppy not to bite my cat? [ 14 Answers ]

I just got a new puppy and my cat is about 8 years old. She (my cat) has lived with dogs in the house since she was a kitten but has been living for about 6 months as the only pet because an older dog of mine passed away. Now I have a new puppy and he's proving to be much more of a handful than my...

How to train my cat to use the littter box [ 1 Answers ]

My new cat is almost 11 months old. His previous owner trained him to use the bathroom floor for pooping. I am trying to get him to use the litter box, but he doesn't seem to know what it is. Please, HELP

How to litter train adult adopted cat [ 1 Answers ]

We have adopted an 8 year female cat that has never been litter trained since she has been an "outside" cat. How do we get her to use litter?

How do I potty train my 9 month old cat? [ 2 Answers ]

My 9 month old cat potty's on everything! He knows how to use a litter box but I want him to go outside so I don't have a stinky litter box. So I put him outside after he eats and when I let him in he pottys on something. And I know he goes outside because lately he has been outside most of the...

View more questions Search