Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vandy-1 Posts: 99, Reputation: 6

Jan 17, 2007, 07:19 AM
    Advantages of switching to synthetic oil
    I've got a 2000 Nissan Altima with 64,000 miles, regular oil changes with dinosaur oil
    Every 3000 or so miles since new so I'm quite sure the motor is fairly clean internally.
    I've read good points about full synthetic oils and in some of txgreasemonkey's answers
    To some posts.
    Wondering if it is wise at this mileage to switch over and any mnfgs names you might
    Recommend i.e. Valvoline, Mobil. Recommended change intervals ?
    Is there a chance of leaks developing ? The car does not leak or burn any oil.
    Would a Napa Gold filter work fine with a synthetic oil ?

Thanks for your time, opinions and experiences!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2007, 07:58 AM
    You will have absolutely no problems switching to synthetic oil. I have preferred brands, like most people, but they are not that important. I recommend you use any of the major brands, where you get the best deal. Your NAPA Gold oil filter is well regarded and a very good choice. Use the viscosity recommended by Nissan for your car and change the oil and filter every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. I have used synthetics exclusively in a host of cars, trucks, mowers, and chain saws, since 1978, without any problems whatsoever.

The greatest relative advantage synthetics have over conventional oil is demonstrated in automatic transaxles. Synthetic oil's higher coefficient of heat allows transmissions to run significantly cooler and last longer. The higher natural detergency of synthetics also keeps transmissions much cleaner, promoting optimal performance. Equally impressive is how synthetics flow significantly better in cold weather. This allows much better performance and improved gas mileage in cold weather.

Synthetics allow you to play very good defense, protecting your vehicle and wallet from predators. Top tier synthetics are Mobil 1, Amsoil, German Castrol Syntec 0W-30, and Valvoline Synthetic MaxLife. Second tier synthetics are Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State Synthetic, Valvoline SynPower, and most major oil company Group III products.

Jan 17, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Thanks txgreasemonkey for your insight and info provided.
    A couple more questions: Do I need to void the engine as much as possible of the
    Conventional oil before pouring in the synthetic ?
    Also Is 10W-30 conventional oil viscosity the same as 10W-30 synthetic viscosity ?
    10W-30 weight is ideal for my car in this climate so I should stay the same in a synthetic ?
    Is the 6000k/6 month interval the standard for synthetic changes ?
    Thanks again txgreasemonkey
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2007, 08:17 PM
    Change the oil, after the engine is hot, and just drain it in the normal fashion. If you have been using 10W-30, then stick with it. I know individuals who push synthetic oil much further than what I recommend, but I don't see any real point to it. Many go 10,000 to 12,000 miles between changes. I feel 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first, is a real middle of the road, safe position. It's one I have used for years.

With 5W-30 synthetic engine oil and 5W-30 synthetic synchromesh transmission fluid in my 5-speed, I have gotten up to 56 mpg, going 60 mph, traveling across Texas on the Interstate. I average 42 mpg around town. The largest increase in gas mileage tends to be when synthetics are used in transmissions and differentials. Synthetics will also slightly increase your horsepower.

Jan 18, 2007, 01:03 AM
    Does synthetic oil reflect it's time to change it by showing a darker color on the dipstick
    As conventional oils do ?
    Just changed the trans fluid so will have to consider synthetic ATF for the next change.
    If I do that should I still stay with the 24 month / 30kmi interval for the trans ?
    The 6k/6 months sounds like a good interval plan, I'll start there.
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2007, 07:34 AM
    All detergent oils darken with use, but that really isn't a real good indicator to base changes on. Used oil analysis is really the best; however, few people do it. Many new cars, of course, come with oil life management systems that tell you when to change. I prefer looking at the manufacturer's recommendations, the conditions under which the vehicle will operate, and my own experience and adopting a safe program. These new premium filters do such a good job of filtering that they slow down an oil's tendency to darken.

Because of the problematic nature of automatic transmissions, I follow the manufacturer's suggested drain interval, even though I use synthetic ATF. On my 2000 Ford Taurus, with a 3.0L Duratec engine and an AX4N transmission, I change the transmission fluid and filter every 30,000 miles--just like Ford recommends. Amsoil says I can go 60,000 to 90,000 miles between changes but because of the conditions under which the car operates, I change it more frequently. Since Fords use ATF in the power steering system, I use synthetic ATF in this application also.

Jan 18, 2007, 05:18 PM
    I also take into consideration operating conditions and temp extremes, as we both know
    How hot it gets in the Summer in Texas and Arizona.
    I'm thinking of going with Mobil as it seems it's easy to find just about anywhere.
    I also rely on experience after much DIY maintenance work over the past 20 yrs.
    I have a feeling I'll become a die hard synthetic user before long,

Thanks again !
    handyhelper Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2007, 10:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandy-1
    I've got a 2000 Nissan Altima with 64,000 miles, regular oil changes with dinosaur oil
    every 3000 or so miles since new so I'm quite sure the motor is fairly clean internally.
    I've read good points about full synthetic oils and in some of txgreasemonkey's answers
    to some posts.
    Wondering if it is wise at this mileage to switch over and any mnfgs names you might
    recommend i.e. Valvoline, Mobil. Recommended change intervals ?
    Is there a chance of leaks developing ? The car does not leak or burn any oil.
    Would a Napa Gold filter work fine with a synthetic oil ?

Thanks for your time, opinions and experiences !!
    I switched over to sythetic oil after being recommended to use it after engine flush by a neighbour who was a strong believer... switched over at 60,000 mile mark after engine flush... long story short... needed an oil pan at 130,000 miles and expected 1" of sludge in oil pan to find it pristine clean... have been a dedicated user in everything automotive and 4 cycle... it has been 9 years now with no oil related problems... In the meantime I met a BMW 740 owner who told me he changes his oil every five years... guess what!. synthetic oil... I use Mobil 1 sythietic oil...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advantages and disadvantages of trade unions [ 3 Answers ]

Hi you, This is ruby, I am doing course of employee relations and just wondering the advantages and disadvantages of trade unions. I couldn't find any resource about it:( . So could anyone help me? Thanks a lot Ruby

Commercial oil-based v.s artist's oil paint [ 1 Answers ]

I am painting on interior brick, already painted with oil-base commercial and wish to use commercial oil-base paint because I think it is more durable than artist's paints, i.e. dusted, perhaps even washed. Is there something I can use to thicken it, thus allowing it to work more like artist's...

Advantages and disadvantages of Apple [ 20 Answers ]

Dear all At the moment I will start my own internet business, so I am thinking on changing to a mac system, a G5 I think. My problem is that I never worked with Apple before, although I kwnon I can achieve better results, I don't know what are the advantages and disadvantages of using mac...

Comparative Advantages [ 1 Answers ]

If the US and China specialize according to comparative advantage what will happen to the total output of steel and aluminum in the two countries?

View more questions Search