Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Feb 8, 2011, 10:42 PM
    Looking For Cheap Or Free Website Hosting
    Our dirt track we race at is on the verge of going under and a bunch of us is trying to revive it . Currently the club is using face book as our racing website , which I think is a bad idea. I know there are lots of good free forums out there, but is there such thing of a good website hoster? Any ideas would be much appreciated, I just want to do my part to help out. Thanks
    mystific Posts: 340, Reputation: 308

Feb 8, 2011, 10:51 PM

Depending on your location Linux Hosting by Purple Cloud | Cheap Email & Web Hosting | | Home Page an English based firm who I used to use all the time are cheap, decent and excellent support.

If not I suggest typing free web hosting into your search engine and start looking at your options.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2011, 11:57 PM

If you want free website hosting you will probably only find a site with loads of pop-ups and advertising. I don't know what you think is 'cheap'. You pretty much get what you pay for. There are lots of hosts out there for about $100/year that are reasonably good. It's all really relative to what you plan to do with the website, what your traffic will be, etc. A lot of internet providers offer free websites.

Remember, if you get a website you may also want a domain name (which costs a bit extra). You can check out several hosting packages through places like readyhosting.com, bravenet.com, tripod.lycos.com, 50megs.com, yahoo.com and so many more, just to see if they offer what you are looking for. There is also a website called hostcompare.com and findmyhosting.com where you can see prices, reviews, etc. Your best bet, though, is to talk to people who have hosting packages already and get a referral from one of them. Also, be clear what your needs are first. You have to be aware of traffic, file sizes, whether you need e-commerce, etc. If you are basically looking for a forum then many hosting package won't be appropriate. Do you need a hosting package with a site builder or do you know how to build your own site already. There are a lot of considerations, so be clear on what it is you need, then do your homework. I would also look for hosting packages that allow you a free trial.

Good luck!

Didi
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Feb 9, 2011, 07:27 AM

Godaddy Domains with Grid Hosting cost me $50 a year the last time I made a website. However, you have to have someone who knows how to use one of the free apps (DNN, WordPress, joomla, etc... )

What are you willing to spend? Ballpark it...
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Feb 9, 2011, 07:55 AM
    I think something like this would be fine for what the track needs http://pentictonspeedway.com/
    Take a look and tell me if this looks like a expensive site.
    mystific Posts: 340, Reputation: 308

Feb 9, 2011, 06:43 PM

It looks like a very simple website.

At the very bottom there is a link to an email of the person who designed the website. Perhaps you could email them and ask?
    Networking Expert

Feb 9, 2011, 06:46 PM

It looks very simple. However, never assume you can place a price tag on looks. I create websites that are also very simple, clean and tasteful but they're very informative and intuitive. However my prices range from $400-1200 and up for extras, so never assume you can tell how much something is worth by looking at it!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 9, 2011, 06:51 PM

I use Weebly - Create a free website and a free blog for one of my web sites, I think it is very good
    sharper11 Posts: 369, Reputation: 102

Feb 14, 2011, 07:27 AM
    If you are looking for FREE.. . FR_Chuck offered a good suggestion. If your looking to save on cost, I suggest finding someone who can put together a nice site using a CMS (Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress.. etc). ITstudent2006 mentioned paying $50.00 a year (which is pretty low) and good place to start.

Cost for Domain Hosting is tied in with "STORAGE SPACE" usually (and other features).

---To save on Space... upload photos using a site like photobucket.com . And Video using Youtube.

If you stay pretty basic... the initial set up may cost as low as $400.00 (That is my base set up for a simple site). ----- Looks can be deceiving as ITstudent said.. . I've seen pretty UGLY site that are very technical on the backend.

Good Luck! I hope you guys keep your DIRT TRACK going. Please, keep us informed.
    Networking Expert

Feb 15, 2011, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sharper11 View Post
    If you are looking for FREE . . . FR_Chuck offered a good suggestion. If your looking to save on cost, I suggest finding someone who can put together a nice site using a CMS (Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress..etc). ITstudent2006 mentioned paying $50.00 a year (which is pretty low) and good place to start.

Cost for Domain Hosting is tied in with "STORAGE SPACE" usually (and other features).

---To save on Space... upload photos using a a site like photobucket.com . and Video using Youtube.

If you stay pretty basic.... the initial set up may cost as low as $400.00 (That is my base set up for a simple site). ----- Looks can be deceiving as ITstudent said. .. I've seen pretty UGLY site that are very technical on the backend.

Good Luck! I hope you guys keep your DIRT TRACK going. Please, keep us informed.
    Very good information here! Take head to this post... as stated above I paid $50 upfront for my domain name HERE and my hosting. I got 1 free email and 100 free email redirects... basic hosting package and a contract for one year for both domain and hosting! I also got $200 worth of free advertising via MyAds and Google Ads... very very useful stuff. It cost me $50 TOTAL! Because I knew how to use DotNetNuke, which is one of the free apps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Getting free website & hosting [ 3 Answers ]

Dear sir, I am developing one application using asp.net,html,javascript & C#. This is only for my own use. There is no commercial involved in this. What I want is, I like to create my own web site and like to upload all my files in this site. Where can I get a free website and hosting. Can any...

View more questions Search