Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    awinne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 10:06 PM
    In Montana (MT) is a spouse required to pay their spouse's child support?
    We live in Montana and my boyfriend has a six year old son. He is part of his life and we see him every chance we get (difficult because he lives on the other side of the state). I just got a job and I want to add my boyfriend to my insurance. To do this we have to claim financial interdependency. My concern is that my boyfriend is not currently working. He owes child support. I checked the Montana code and due to that I know even if we were married my income would not count towards figuring out child support. HOwever, I have heard of spouse's income being garnished to pay the other spouse's obligation in Washinton and I am trying to find out if that will happen here.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 8, 2011, 10:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by awinne View Post
    ... I have heard of spouse's income being garnished to pay the other spouse's obligation in Washinton ...
    1. I haven't heard of that. If it did happen, it could involve an unusual fact pattern; or it might just be a mistake on the part of whoever issued the writ of garnishment.
    2. You are not in Washington.
    3. You are not a spouse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If parental rights are terminated, am I still required to pay child support? [ 4 Answers ]

I am the legal father of a 9 year old boy. I have seen this child twice since he was 6 months old. We live several hundred miles apart and I have had no contact with his mother or him since he was 2. I pay child support and am considering relinquishing my parental rights. Will I still have to...

Never ordered to pay child support can you get back pay [ 9 Answers ]

I have a soon to be 13 year old daughter. Her father has only seen her maybe 5 times her whole life. He has never been court ordered to pay child support but we did have a paternity test done when she about 1 year old. But he wouldn't stay in one place or keep a job long enough to get a support...

If I raised my child for the first 9 years without support do I have to pay support [ 1 Answers ]

I have raised my son for 9 years without any help from his father. If I send him to live with his father will I have to pay child support. I would think not because we would be even rite?

Is the step parent required to pay child support in Oregon or Florida? [ 8 Answers ]

I am the step dad to my wife's sons who live full time in Oregon in the custody of her family. I have never met them, they are ages 16 and 18 and stayed up there for school. I am military and move a lot. We are currently stationed in Florida which is where we got married. She pays and is up to...

I'm I required to pay child support if my children are not in school? [ 4 Answers ]

Am I required to pay child support if my children are not in school?

View more questions Search