Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 06:13 PM
    Can computer repair shops download personal information?
    If I take my computer that I use for shopping, personal banking and bill paying to a shop to be repaired, does the technician have access to my credit cards, bank accounts and passwords? Would it make sense to wipe my hard drive with one of those DOD programs?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 8, 2011, 06:55 PM

Can they? Yes. Depending on how secure your data is anything stoed on your system is vulnerable.

However the likelihood of them doing so is very small. How long do you think they would stay in business if people suspected them of stealing personal info?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2011, 06:59 PM

Yes of course they could, and a good hacker can often do it setting 1000 miles away if you are online.

The one important factor is to find and use a shop that you know and trust

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Camera repair shops 12198 [ 1 Answers ]

My camera display is streaked with color, picture smeared camera is sony cybershot

Personal ve public information [ 9 Answers ]

When you are stopped by a cop for a traffic violation and they ask to see your license, what information are they looking for? What if your from another state and have never been in the state in question?

Worried about personal files on computer sent in for repair [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, My boyfriend's laptop has been sent into the repair shop because it is effectively dead (flat battery and won't respond to being plugged in). However, my concern is the extremely personal video and images we put on it a couple of weeks ago :o How likely is it that the repair...

Personal information [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Can a catholic school give out my personal phone number? I live in Massachusetts and I thought that without my consent it cannot be given out! Thanks

Personal computer as sole computer at work [ 1 Answers ]

I work for a non-profit which has a very low (almost non-existant) budget. When I started work, I agreed to use my personal laptop, which I had purchased about 2 years prior, as my work computer because they could not afford to provide the equipment I needed to do my job (marketing, PR, web...

View more questions Search