Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RineyBree Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 05:22 PM
    Filing U.S. taxes: Foreign Income Exclusion AND Foreign Tax Credit? etc.
    Hello.

I have a question about how to file U.S. taxes in a way that will give me the most benefit in my situation.

Here are the details:

1. I'm a U.S. citizen, living in Japan.
    2. I made less than the maximum allowed for the foreign income exclusion for each year I want to file.
    3. I am married with one child.
    4. I don't believe I can claim any deductions except for the Standard and Child deductions (no housing deductions, etc.)
    5. I haven't filed with the IRS for the last 8 years (but have been filing with Japan every year).
    6. If possible, I only want to file for the last 3 years, from 2008 to 2010 (to satisfy requirements to be a visa sponsor for my wife).

Here are a couple of the questions I have:

-1- Will the IRS send me something asking me to file for all the unfiled years if I only send in forms for the last 3 years?
    -2- Can I file for the Foreign Income Exclusion and Foreign Tax Credit at the same time? How and what forms would I use? Have there been any changes to the rules here from 2008 to 2010, or can I file all these forms in the same way?

Please let me know if there's anything else I should know to make the most of my situation.

Thanks in advance.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign income exclusion [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Quick question: I am a Canadian citizen who was working in the US (H1B Visa) from June 2006 to March 2009. From March 2009 - March 2010 I have been working in Japan and after this, will return to continue working in the US. When I file taxes in the US as a Resident Alien in 2009...

Foreign Income Exclusion versus Tax Credit [ 4 Answers ]

I am a US Citizen that is employed and earns income in a foreign country. I am completing my taxes and think I screwed up as Turbo tax says I owe a large amount due to some triggering of the AMT. I have a pretty simple life and limited investment income, so the question boils down to this: ...

Foreign Income Exclusion [ 2 Answers ]

I am using Turbo Tax for tax planning. I wanted to see how the foreign income is treated, so I put the following scenario: Ordinary US income of $10,000 and foreign income of $4,000 I see that Turbo Tax calculates AGI as $6,000. I thought "foreign income exclusion" means that you don't pay...

Filing taxes on income from foreign business [ 1 Answers ]

I am married to a U.S. citizen and we moved from Europe to the U.S. in May 2007. Over 2007 I have around $12000 of income from running a small business with a partner. This business is registered in Europe, which means that that income would be qualified as 'foreign income' It seems I have two...

Married filing jointly with NRA and Foreign Earned Income Exclusion [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I have a new complication in my taxes. I'm American and my wife British (NRA). We both live and earn our income abroad (India and Uganda in 2007). Normally I filed married, filing separately, but would like to file jointly this year -- as I believe it would be advantageous. I know that I...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.