Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JesseMC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 02:39 PM
    Im a young father who is still with the baby's mom. I leave to the army soon...
    I leave to the army soon so I try to spend as much time with him as possible but its very difficult because our son lives with her. Im scared I might not have my son to come home to.
    Our relationship gets rocky at points and since our son lives with her when I get to visit him its only for a hour or 2.
    She has filed child support on me because her mom talked her into it and I buy him whatever it is that they need.
    I want to have some type of custody rights to him. What should I do?
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2011, 04:09 PM

You to court and apply for custody. Unless there is a good reason, courts will usually award joint custody between the parents, although one parent (in this case the mother) will have more time spent with the child, both parents are responsible for the child, and have the right to quality time with him.

Start paying support. Your son needs consistent support, and buying things now and again doesn't cut it. We're talking money to pay the electricity bill, food, gas, school or daycare fees, all that stuff. Pay regularly, and pay enough.
    JesseMC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 04:33 PM
    She lives rent free with her mother and I asked her to come move in with me for the last remainding months that I'm home but she said no.
    Day care is coming up and I'm going to pay my half.
    And there talking about raising the childsupport when I left to bootcamp.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2011, 04:57 PM

It makes sense for her to live with her mother, raising a small child without a husband is difficult, she's going to need all the back-up she can get. You're not going to be there.

Don't just pay half of childcare, set a regular amount, and pay that every week or every month. Not only is it good for your child, it puts you in a much better position when you go to court to look for joint custody.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2011, 06:25 PM

First you have a child, and that is not a reason that the mother has to be with you. You need to work on being able to see the child and this may normally mean not at the child's mothers home.

You file for either joint custody or at least visitation though the courts , just like she filed for support.

And yes, support will be passed on income, so if your army pay is more than your old pay, it would increase.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 8, 2011, 06:30 PM

This is a legal issue and has been moved from Parenting.

As noted you NEED to go to court and establish your custody rights. If they have filed for child support you counter file for custody. You have to establish your rights in court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who is my baby's father? [ 12 Answers ]

I had sex with two guys before I found out I was pregnant. I had sex with one guy on the 25 of September the other guy was before and after this date. I found out I was pregnant November 6 and they told me I was about five to six weeks on November 9. I went to the doctor 20 and I was 15 weeks and 5...

Who Is My Baby's Father? [ 6 Answers ]

Ok, so I had unprotected sex with my ex boyfriend on November 14th, 2010. A couple days later I got my period as regular. A little lighter than usual but it was still there. On November 25th, 2010 I had unprotected sex with my new boyfriend and haven't gotten my perid since. I took a pregnancy test...

Living with my baby's mom. It's not going to work, what to do? [ 8 Answers ]

So, me and my girlfriend broke up a week or so ago. We came to an understanding that our relationship is too emotional (we argue all the time), and only good when we get physical (sex has always been good). We live together now and our lease is up at the end of march. Honestly I can't stand her...

My hubby's in the army & we are going overseas Baby's real dad not on because Can he stop us? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is not the father of my child but was there for his birth & signed the birth certificate & is supporting him. The baby was born in NC & I live in OH. I was told the birth certificate can't be changed since it's an out of state because. The biological father is asking for a bargian. He...

My baby's father [ 1 Answers ]

When filing for child support is OK if I do not ss # of the father?

View more questions Search