Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gerradus Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 10:05 AM
    Is it safe for gas pipes to touch hot water pipes ?
    Is it safe for gas pipes to touch hot water pipes ? New central heating installed has this situation, am slightly worried by this. David.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2011, 10:28 AM

Gas pipes are typically black Iron and water pipes are typically Copper.

If the two contact each other you will have galvonic action take place as a result of dissimular metals and the water pipe will likely be the first to leak. THere will also be minute mechanical vibrations in the water pipe as well when water is turned on and off causing them to rub.

Long story short... they should NOT touch...
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2011, 04:44 PM
    Copper should be soft enough to slightly pull the lines apart. If possible, put some pipe insulation on the copper.

Feb 8, 2011, 01:59 PM
    Tank you, Gerradus.

Feb 8, 2011, 02:03 PM
    Thank you for your information, Gerradus.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water pipes knocking [ 5 Answers ]

I have a rhythmic knocking or pulsating sound in all the hot water pipes in the wall whenever the hot water is being used anywhere in the house. This same sound also occurs whenever the hot water circulator turns on (it is on a timer) even if there is no current use of the hot water from any faucet...

Water pipes knocking on upper floor, after pipes burst [ 7 Answers ]

Hi - recently, my water pipes froze and burst, flooding my basement. I've had the pipes repaired. Now, when I turn on the hot water in my upstairs (2nd floor) sink, there's a knocking/clunking after I turn the hot water off. Its only the hot water (doesn't do it with cold water). When I...

Foam insulation - do it yourself? Pros? Cons? Safe for hot water pipes and wiring? [ 2 Answers ]

A while back I watched a show called "Off the Grid" with Les Stroud. He renovated an old house in the woods, and one of the upgrades was full insulation using spray foam. It seemed very like an easy thing to apply, and it fit every nook and cranny. * Is that something I can apply myself? * What...

Hot Water Pipes Might be Leaking Somewhere [ 2 Answers ]

Normally you have to let the hot water run awhile in my bathroom to get the water hot. Now it is hot instantly which leads me to believe there is a leak somewhere; however, I looked at all the usual places... no leaks. I have a four year old water heater which seems to be operating properly. I...

Baseboard Hot water pipes [ 1 Answers ]

My house is about 38 yrs old and my hot water baseboard heating system was installed with iron pipes instead of copper. Im renovating part of my house and the iron pipes and fittings are expoxed because I opened the ceiling. The pipes look good with no rust. Im afraid one day they will rot. Should...

View more questions Search