Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    artfreak1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2011, 09:14 PM
    How can I convince my parents to let me get married and move out of their house?
    I am 21 years old, and have been with my boyfriend for over two years now. He is truly my best friend, and we know we feel the same way about our future, down to small details like what color we want to paint the living room in our first home. My parents have met him several times and really like him, however I'm currently living in Florida and he is in atlanta. Financially we are stable, because he works full time and I work part time, and he is about to finish his graphic design degree so I know we will be able to support ourselves through rent, utilities, savings, etc... I have met his family and they are simply wonderful and I feel very secure with our relationship. The issue I'm having is that my family is middle-eastern and thus, more traditional than most, hence why I am living at home with my parents and I'm already 21. I would like to move to atlanta and get married to my boyfriend (who has informed my father that is our goal) but I do not know how to convince my parents to let me go or to even convince them to meet my boyfriend's family, considering the two families have not yet met in person. I would really appreciate any advice you might have for me. I don't know if my parents are just too traditional, or if they simply see me as just a child, but I know that I cannot start my own life until they let me. I love my boyfriend very much, as he and his family does me, and I know we'll be just fine, but I need to find a way to make this happen, and fast, because I feel like I'm wasting time when I could be living my own life. (and no, I am not pregnant or anything like that). Help?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 6, 2011, 09:23 PM

Of course this is the US and you are free just to move if you want legally. So really by "family law" which is the section you are in, the correct legal answer is,

1. merely tell them you are moving, if you are paying rent, give them proper notice of your move.

If you are asking about your family issue according to social customs. You need to have him come and meet your family, and if possible have at least his father to also come with him.

Feb 6, 2011, 09:39 PM
    Thanks for responding to my question so promptly, I find myself being rather stressed over this issue. Whenever I mention starting my own life, my father beings a rant about how things would be worse if I were living in the middle east and not fortunate enough to live in the U.S. I have thought about the fact that I am legally able to do whatever I want, however I don't want to upset my family. I would prefer if things would go a lot more smoothly. I wish there was a way I could convince my family to visit atlanta to see his family, therefore all of them could meet each other. I know my family likes my boyfriend very much, but I know that if I left home on bad terms with my family, I would worry about it a lot. It's just very tricky when I think about how I'm going to get them to go along with all of this, because force and resistance is what I've been hoping to avoid.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 6, 2011, 09:48 PM

They know you are dating or seeing him, I will assume then?

So are they now waiting on him and his family to do things according to your customs? Is he from the same culture and is his family familiar with what is expected by old customs

Feb 6, 2011, 10:21 PM
    Yes, we have been together for two years and my parents know we are in love. He has given me a promise ring, which I've worn for over a year now, and we have spent several visits together with my family. I feel bad because I want to marry him and start a new life for myself however, my father feels that before I am allowed to do anything myself, including simply visiting my boyfriend from time to time on my own, my family needs to fully meet his family, however my parents seem to lag in that area- it took me a year to convince them to let him visit me. I know it's been very hard for my boyfriend and I to be long distance after two years already, and we know exactly what we want to do. Our families have similar cultures and the same religion, and his family understands why the customs in my heritage are such a big deal, however I really do not want to wait any longer. It's as if it's right in front of me, but I can't reach it yet because my parents dangle it in my face. I just don't know how to get through to them that I'm ready to be my own person and marry a guy who is honest, respectful, caring, and very kind to everyone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How old do I have to be to move out of my parents house? [ 7 Answers ]

I'd like to know how old I have to be to move out of my parents house, I am only 15, and I think that I could have my life together better if they weren't around all the time, I have thought this through, I can cook and clean, I'm not wanting to right away, not until I get a job and a car and I...

How to convince my parents/partner [ 4 Answers ]

I am hindu age 20.. I am in love with a guy aged 27 hindu, and he belongs to sc... we hv to face problem such as 1. age differnce 2. caste community 3. height and colour 4. status 5. profession and finanacial background.. He wants to do register marriage as early as possible since my parents are...

How old do I have to be to move out of my parents house in Nebraska? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 17 and ill be 18 soon my dad and I are always getting into fights and he is always yelling at me for no reason. I have a job and I still g to school. And I could easliy go transfer to a new school if I move out. I am always spending my free time crying cause I get hurt by my dad yelling at me....

How do I convince my parents to buy me a hamster? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been wanting A hamster since I was six and they won't let me. My moms says they carry too much germs and my dad says that I don't even take care of my 2 dogs and that's a lie because I'm the only one who plays with them and feeds them. Please help!

How to convince my girlfriend parents [ 2 Answers ]

Actually this is very common questionhow can I want to convince my girlfriend parents to accept as there boy for whom they are looking for a girl. My girlfriend is under very tensed position because her parents are not accepting me as rite choice for her

View more questions Search