Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigol Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2011, 08:56 AM
    Insubordination?
    I had an accident at the office. I slid down the stairs. My office manager (not my general manager), also a friend, did not even bothered asking how I am. I made a status in Facebook saying "Who wants to get hurt? I'm s really starting to wonder why I even bother with some people. When it's clear I don't matter." And she found out that my status was intended for her because of a whistleblower. She has been aloof to me 2 weeks before the accident, I don't have any idea why. I assumed, maybe because I forgot to make the monthly report, which she usually does, but because she's pregnant she 's regularly absent. I honestly forgot to make the report, and even apologized to my general boss. Now, my office manager suspended me for insubordination. Why is that? How's that possible?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 6, 2011, 06:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigol View Post
    ... Now, my office manager suspended me for insubordination. Why is that? How's that possible?
    Huh? You know why. Because you posted something on Facebook that tended to be derogative about the office manager.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 6, 2011, 06:27 PM

Yes, people get fired, go to jail and don't get jobs for things they post on Facebook.

If you post it on face book they can use it against you.

Feb 6, 2011, 06:46 PM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    But why insuordination?

Feb 6, 2011, 06:49 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    But why insubordination? And the thing is, she was also a friend before I got hired in her office. And I missed her already before the accident happened. So, now I can't defend myself?
    Expert

Feb 6, 2011, 06:55 PM

Neg comments about where you work and / or a supervisor even on Facebook are taken very serious by many companies.

You were making a reference that your boss was not doing their job, did not care about company accidents and so on.

And in fact they may not have. So you file a appeal to the HR department to have it reviewed. You defense can be either , this is not what you meant, or that it is what you meant and it is true, for example if what you posted is true and you can prove it to be, then it is a defense

Feb 6, 2011, 07:15 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    My 10 day rest period is over, and I will be going back to the office later. But we will be having a serious talk. My intention was just venting out that as a friend she never even cared. But maybe, I'll just keep myself silent. Thanks for the help.
    Expert

Feb 6, 2011, 07:27 PM
    But why insubordination? And the thing is, she was also a friend before I got hired in her office. And I missed her already before the accident happened. So, now I can't defend myself?
    She may be a friend. But she is also above you in the pecking order at work. Therefore, if you say (or in this case, publish on Facebook) something considered derogative about her, that is insubordination.

insubordination (plural insubordinations)

1.The quality of being insubordinate; disobedience to lawful authority.

Insubordinate (comparative more insubordinate, superlative most insubordinate)

1.rebellious or defiant to authority
    insubordination - Wiktionary

Feb 6, 2011, 07:58 PM
    In this case I should make a letter of apology, right? What is the legal terms when writing one?
    Expert

Feb 6, 2011, 11:12 PM
    In this case I should make a letter of apology, right? What is the legal terms when writing one?
    Might not be a bad idea. No "legal" terms necessary. Just be sincere. Keep it professional and business-like while being friendly at the same time. Remember, it may go in your file, so don't say anything you don't want your superiors in the organization to see.

Feb 8, 2011, 05:50 AM
    Well, so much for this. They terminated me, but to clear my name they decided to make it as forced resignation. Thanks for the help though.
    Expert

Feb 8, 2011, 06:28 AM

Actually they most likely did that so they don't have to pay you unemployment, if they fire you, they have to pay unemployment, if you resign ( quit ) they don't have to pay unemployment.

I hope you did not sign anything that says you quit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insubordination is a false acusation [ 4 Answers ]

I was terminated from my job due to subordination to my supervisor and violation of standards of conduct. I never displayed unnaceptable conduct to my supervisor or any member of management and I never violated the company standards... I was a packing operator on the second shift but I requested a...

Government write-up for insubordination [ 2 Answers ]

My supervisor has been out due to an accident and her supervisor named me Acting Director. However, I am aware that my supervisor, Amy, has still been responding to emails and has been in contact with other staff in the office. I contacted Amy to discuss a particular case to ask her opinion on...

Terminated for insubordination [ 3 Answers ]

I have been terminated from my job. Reason given, insubordination! I have never been written up for any reason and has only missed 2 days of work. After reviewing the work schedule for the rest of November, I noticed that I was scheduled to work on a day where I was scheduled to work at my other...

Accused of insubordination [ 10 Answers ]

My supervisor accused me of insubordination because I shut a door to loudly after she put her finger to her mouth indicating that I was speaking to loudly. During this repremand she said to me "Whether you like it or not I am your supervisor". I have never once indicated or spoken words to...

View more questions Search