Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mlcplus3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2011, 03:10 AM
    HELP single mom lost job and need to convert a duplex to a single family home.
    I live in a little boro in pa own a duplex home have been renting upstairs for 5yrs when tenant moved out boro came in like storm troopers and gave me a dead sea scroll of impossible,ex.painting all decks and wood work out side in the winter.when tenants don't have use of yard.any way I had already told my niece she could live there and she put her stuff in there.since I have a lynch mob after me and her dog staying up there and she's down stairs I am not receiving rent yet.would it be cheaper for me to convert to single family.I have a front door to hallway and the 2 units have separate doors in the hall way.if I take out doors and both electric bills are in my name and I have only one heating control could this be considered a single family home we are family and privacy is not an issue.could this keep them @ bay until I can afford to complete there list. They said they are going to start fining me $1000/day I don't want to kick out my niece.help please!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 6, 2011, 04:31 AM
    Either the tenant reported you, and the complaint went to the Building Inspector, or you were renting under Section 8? 'Boroughs' don't come storming in to rentals just because someone moved out. And there are no laws about anything having to be painted, but there are laws about removing lead paint. There are codes for residences in general and more codes for rentals, so it's impossible to know if you can get around the list of violations just by converting to a single family. Or if you can let anyone live there, family or not. Faulty plumbing and wiring, old gas space heaters, etc. You go to Zoning and ask about converting (generally not as simple as taking doors off and having one heating system), or about leaving the unit vacant (may be no distinction), and find out too which code violations pertain to which type of living space. Bring the list of violations with you and write down which is which, and take notes.

It's also impossible to know what's cheaper for you, since we don't know what rent you were getting and what costs to repair are. You need to be informed and organized.

Consider renting a room downstairs to a contractor (young, just divorced, etc) and paying for part time repairs each month, keeping in mind that materials are going to be a large part of it. That's a long shot, but you could ask around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert single fam home to duplex/rental [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking to purchase a home for my mother and her sister in Iowa, US. Mostly for personal reasons, but also some investment potential. The home would need to be a duplex or have separate apartments up and down. Most duplexes in my area are too large for their needs and financial means. One...

How does a single mom purchase a home with bad credit? [ 6 Answers ]

I am a single mother. I have bad credit and have been busting my butt to pay off my debt and improve my credit score. I had a bad debt foreclosure that was from when I got divorced; my ex fought and won the time share property. An entire paragraph in my divorce decree is dedicated to the time share...

Single mom looking for a job [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I stumbled across this site as I was job hunting. After passing my 6 courses in spring, I should earn my BS Business Management in May *(fingers crossed!)*. I don't know how I graduated on time between changing my major and having a baby! When the economy turned, changed my degree from...

Conversion of mobile home to single family home [ 5 Answers ]

In 1995, we bought some land & moved a salvaged mobile home on it. The mobile wasn't permanent meaning we only needed to live in it until we could build our house. We first added onto the mobile a 12x60 section. We then began to tear down the mobile home & eventually added a front section. The...

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

View more questions Search