Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aaragon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2011, 10:57 PM
    Lien on bank account for child support
    My friend has his own business and recently his business got slow and has been making only half or a little more then half of his child support payment. He just got a letter saying they put a lien on his bank account but there is not enough money in the account to pay his back payment. What does he do now?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 6, 2011, 06:29 AM

If business is consistenly down and in this economy it is understandable. Then your friend needs to go back to court and ask for a mofification. As far as the bank account he may need to start another until such time as things are cleared up. By going back to court he may prevent any new accounts from being attatched and keep the business flowing.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 6, 2011, 06:34 AM

An economic downturn is not an excuse for just deciding to cut back on support payments. Only a court can modify the payments, and he would have needed to go back to court to do so.

Anything deposited in that account will be taken for the arrears. If he opens another account, they will probably find it and attach that one as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lien on bank account for child support [ 5 Answers ]

I just found out that there is a lien against my bank account for child support. How can this be? I am the primary account holder on this account. The person that owes childsuport is just on the account. Will the lien be raised from my account.

Boyfriends child support put a lien on my bank account [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am in a real big mess! My boyfriend and I live together for about 9 years and child support is garnishing his paycheck for about 600 per month, which has put a terrible hardship on us. It's only for one child. The child's mother left the state and we do not know where she is living. He does...

Child support bank lien [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I currently live in the State of Texas. I suppose to have a child in Chicago, Illinois in which I never got any DNA test done, in order to validate weather or not the child is mind. It's been well over 7 years that I left the State and moved on with my life. While checking my account...

Lien placed on bank account for back child support payments [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about removing a lien placed on a bank account for back child support?

Child Support Lien on bank account [ 22 Answers ]

We discovered this evening that our bank accounts were frozen by child support. We have had no notification of this from anyone. My husband has 3 children from his previous marriage About 2.5 years ago my husband lost his job due to serious illness when he got a new job the salary was...

View more questions Search