Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2TeachorNot2Teach Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Teaching isn't for me, now what?
    Hello,

This is my 2nd year teaching and I'm miserable. I love "teaching," but feel I'm unable to do that because of all of the politics involved. I have a BA in Elementary Education from a N.C. university and need some direction towards another career path. I have only 5 months of this school year remaining and the mere thought of having another option next year has put the spring back in my step. I do not have savings or the option of attending school again (I need full time work with benefits). Help!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Have you thought of working with a company along the line of Sylvan? They hire teachers, do not know if it is full time though. I have a friend who is a retired teacher and she does that for them, but part time and she loves it.

You do not state if you work for a public or private school - either way the politics can leave a sour taste. Politics in ANY job can do that. Often it is not the job that cause people to leave, it is the posterior kissing that one has to do to keep the job and make everyone happy. Sometimes, however, a private school can be less of an arena than a public school.

If you had a preschool degree I would suggest opening your own preschool - but you need the benefits. I sincerely wish you happiness. I know how disheartening you must feel. I taught secondary ed students for three years before leaving. Having my hands tied in matters of discipline, consequences, homework, special projects, and the special favors I was to grant to athletes was just too much. I had far too many ideals at that time.

Have you checked into going overseas to teach ESL (English as a Second Language)? Whatever you do, hope all will be well for you.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 16, 2007, 03:21 PM
    First... I'd like to thank you for being a teacher. I don't have kids, but recognize the importance of teaching future generations. I could never do it myself, for the same reasons it's leaving a sour taste in your mouth.

I agree with Shy that if you are teaching in public schools, private schools may make a difference to you.

What were the reasons you went into teaching to begin with? That may give us some ideas of directions to point you for other careers that give you the same satisfaction.
    roxiezerio Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TeachorNot2Teach
    Hello,

This is my 2nd year teaching and I'm miserable. I love "teaching," but feel I'm unable to do that because of all of the politics involved. I have a BA in Elementary Education from a N.C. university and need some direction towards another career path. I have only 5 months of this school year remaining and the mere thought of having another option next year has put the spring back in my step. I do not have savings or the option of attending school again (I need full time work with benefits). Help!
    I became a teacher too, and hated it! I think you just have to find a job in another industry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teaching [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to know if there are some cool internet pages about "English teaching as a second language". Thanks

English teaching [ 4 Answers ]

Hi One of my EFL students asked me: Why is it OK to say the dog of my friend, and my friend's dog... BUT NOT: Job's book and the table's leg? Thank you all for your help

Is teaching hard? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in my first year in college and I'm plannig to major in education for elementary, I would like to know if being a teacher is too much, meanig if it's a stressful job or a fun job? Also is it hard to study to be a teacher, its hard for me right now, as a freshie but I'm worried that it...

The Joy of Teaching [ 5 Answers ]

Then Jesus took his disciples up the mountain and, gathering them around him, he taught them, saying: Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven Blessed are the meek Blessed are they that mourn Blessed are the merciful Blessed are they that thirst for justice...

Teaching [ 3 Answers ]

Which fields or careers are most welcoming to former teachers or teachers seeking to transition out of teaching?

View more questions Search