Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rewj246 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2011, 09:18 PM
    I live in PA; I have a pension and am wondering why...
    I live in PA and I have a pension and I am wondering why federal income taxes are taken off my pension? I have all ready been taxed prior to going on retirement, why is this occurring? Also, if federal taxes are to be taken off my pension how much or what percentage needs to be deducted to that I don't owe in (pay taxes) as I have to this year (2010-2011).

ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 7, 2011, 07:14 AM

In general pension payments are considered to be income to you, and hence are taxable. However, if you conrtributed after-tax money to your pension plan while you were working, then the return of your contributions to you is not taxable, although payments to you that are out of company contributions, earnings, or any pre-tax contributions you made into the account are taxable, as you have not previously paid any taxes on those amounts. The statements you receive should clarify what portion of the payments are due to your own after-tax contributions and what portion is due to company contributions, earnings, and your pre-tax contributions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If you change your pension into a disability pension does that become marital asset? [ 5 Answers ]

Married 4 years husband became disabled changed his pension into a disability pension am I entitled to the pension? I read that once you change your regular pension while married into a disability pension it becomes a marital asset. We are in the process of getting a divorce, I received a letter...

I was wondering what exactly show up on a live scan fingerprint background check? [ 2 Answers ]

What specifically shows up on a live scan fingerprinting background check? I would like to apply to nursing school and this is the form of background check that is required. I was charged with theft and these charges are dismissed. I do not have a felony or misdemenour* on my record. Does this...

I live in Michigan and wondering about becoming a Foster Parent [ 3 Answers ]

I'm thinking of becoming a Foster Parent. I would just like some insight, maybe from other parents in Michigan, that will help me answer some questions that I may have. I love kids and know that I can provide them with a warm, loving environment. I just am concerned with something's. Can anyone...

401 or state pension 25 year pension [ 1 Answers ]

I always wonder if I had a 401k insteed of a state pension. The period is from: 1969-1994. I received $1,000 a month for life. Have already received $192,600 But what about other scenario. 401K investment plan during the same period. Would it be better, the same, or worst?? ...

View more questions Search