Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ali45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2003, 08:17 AM
    Grammar
    Does this part of a sentence sound English to you
    " There are such lots of shops in this department store that..?
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2003, 12:56 AM
    Re: grammar
    ali45, I'm no expert in linguistic, but I think this sentence does sound awkward with the word "such" included in the sentence, followed by the word "lots" as plural.

But, actually this sentence does make sense if you are referring to "lots" as a noun to signify land, and "such" as an adjective to signify "in degree".

At this online dictionary site:

http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/l/l0255700.html, it gave the definition of "lots" as follows:

"lot" is defined as:

n.
    1. An object used in making a determination or choice at random: casting lots.
    a. The use of objects in making a determination or choice at random: chosen by lot.
    b. The determination or choice so made.
    3. Something that befalls one because of or as if because of determination by lot.
    4. One's fortune in life; fate.
    5. A number of associated people or things: placating an angry lot of tenants; kids who made a noisy lot.
    6. Kind; type: That dog is a contented lot.
    7. Miscellaneous articles sold as one unit.
    8. Informal
    a. A large extent, amount, or number. Often used in the plural: is in a lot of trouble; has lots of friends.
    b. Used adverbially with a or in the plural to mean "to a great degree or extent" or "frequently": felt a lot better; ran lots faster; doesn't go out a whole lot; has seen her lots lately.
    a. A piece of land having specific boundaries, especially one constituting a part of a city, town, or block.
    b. A piece of land used for a given purpose: a parking lot.
    a. The complete grounds of a film studio.
    b. The outdoor area of a film studio.

tr.v. lot·ted, lot·ting, lots
    To apportion by lots; allot.
    To divide (land) into lots.

ACCORDING TO DEFINITION 9, if "lots" were to mean a land of shops

& And the word "such" from:

http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/s/s0860500.html, as an adjective, DEFINITION 1, means "of this type",
    then it would make sense like so:

There are such (adjective) lots of shops in this department store that... you are looking for.
    ("such" is used here to emphasize as well)

OR that... advertise shirts and pants at the prices you would like to pay for.

However, the sentence would sound more correct, even though the meaning would differ if it was changed to:

There is such (adverb) "a" lot of shops in this department store that... it would take you days to finish walking around them.
    (Sentence used for Exaggeration)

The way that this sentence is structured can have varying meanings depending on how it is used, because of the qualifier "such" and "lots" that functions as either a noun or object of noun, and, thus, be made to make sense... I think... ;D... anyone else care to share your ideas ;)

rrt69 Posts: 89, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2003, 07:14 PM
    Grammar
    Its sounds allright to me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kelsey Grammer/ [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I have a question about a Kelsey Grammer movie I saw in the 1990s I am trying to remember the name of the movie. Perhaps someone can assist me. In it, Kelsey played a children’s book author and seemed to be drunk or have a hangover all the time. His nemesis in the...

Grammer [ 2 Answers ]

Could someone help me wiith these words: Witnesses, witness's-- How to use these correctly in a sentence. :confused:

View more questions Search