Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rahul83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2011, 09:54 AM
    Which US federal tax form to fill?
    I am an international student( from india) currently on my OPT. I am staying in US from August 2007 and left the country twice. Once in 2008 for 30 days and then in 2009 for 45 days. This is my first employment in US and for my previous years I had filed form 8843.
    So for year 2010 which tax form should I fill? Do in need to fill 1040EZ NR or 1040 NR.

Thanks
    Rahul
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2011, 12:07 AM
    Probably Form 1040NR-EZ. India student are allowed to claim the standard deduction under Article 21(2) of the U.S.-India Tax Treaty.

If you are married and/or have children, you can also claim them on your return as dependents IF they earned no income. Then you would file Form 1040NR plus Form W-7 to get them ITINs.

If you need professional tax help with this, email me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to fill out tax form 8833 [ 3 Answers ]

My husband needs to file his 2009 as a dual resident. He is an Australian citizen who moved to the USA as a permanent resident by the end of 2009. I am claiming his Australian earned wages as tax exempt due to the Australia-US tax treaty. While filling out his 1040NR, I realized that I need to...

How do you fill out tax form 8880 [ 3 Answers ]

Nrrd help filling out form 8880

Do I still need to fill tax forms when there's no W2 form for me? [ 6 Answers ]

I got my 1042-s form but I don't get W-2 form. I went to payroll office and they told me there's no tax information on me in the computer which means I will not have W-2 form this year. My question is that do I still need to fill tax forms before tax day, because I received 1042-s form? Here's...

What income tax form should I fill? I had a J1 [ 1 Answers ]

I entered in the states with a J1 visa and stayed there for 4 months, well I have lots of doubts: I'm not sure what income tax form should I fill. where should I declare all my travel expenses such as plane and train tickets, my rent, cost of the program, etc If I have a dependant but in my...

Which tax form do I need to fill [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am staying in US from Aug, 2002 to Present. I am currently in H1-B visa status (I am not in dual status). What tax form do I need to fill out and will I be eligible for the indo-us tax deduction ($5000)? Can someone let me know? Thanks! Ganesh

View more questions Search