Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Feb 5, 2011, 09:28 AM
    I added more ram and now my PC crashed!
    I have 3 slots in my old computer for RAM. It currently has a single 512mb in it. My brother gave me 3 more 512's so I thought id speed this baby up. We put them in and when all 3 were in, my computer stayed on the black screen with no boot up. Pulled one out and it kept re-booting over and over. Pulled that one out and with my original one in, my computer started back up, but my AVAST got corrupted and I couldn't fix it. Put the 3rd one back in (with my original one) and it started up but when I clicked a program, it kept crashing. Pulled that one out and re-installed Avast using my original 512 ram and I'm back to normal... Any ideas why the new ram won't work? Is there something in the re-setting bios's ?
    ideaweaver Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2011, 09:39 AM
    I'm not an expert but I think that it may be that your computer cannot take that amount of memory. My PC has the same problem. We had a technician try to add extra memory and the computer couldn't take it. Unfortunately I don't think that there is a way of solving this.

If your computer is slow, have you tried having your operating system (E.g. Windows) reinstalled? That solved the issues on my computer and now it runs quite fast after a few years of dragging and running at 100% most of the time.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Feb 6, 2011, 01:23 PM

What is your Operating System?

Was the additional RAM you inserted the correct type? Just because it fit in the slot doesn't mean it's the right kind!

What numbers are on the current stick?
    Numbers on the new sticks?
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Feb 7, 2011, 05:54 AM
    You can use a free program called SIW (system information windows) to see the model of your motherboard, and then look it up on the manufacturers site to find out what the total limit of memory is, and also what's compatible. Besides size (512), memory sticks also have a speed ratting and usually its OK to use different speeds but the system will default to the lowest stick speed for all sticks. There is also a chip rating (70ns or 60ns) and the two don't like to mix.
    Networking Expert

Feb 7, 2011, 07:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    You can use a free program called SIW (system information windows) to see the model of your motherboard, and then look it up on the manufacturers site to find out what the total limit of memory is, and also whats compatible. Besides size (512), memory sticks also have a speed ratting and usually its ok to use different speeds but the system will default to the lowest stick speed for all sticks. There is also a chip rating (70ns or 60ns) and the two don't like to mix.
    RAM limit is dependent on either being 32-bit or 64-bit. There is no need to look up the model number of your MOBO and search and search to find the answer.

If you're running a 32-bit OS then your limit is 4GB. If you're running a 64-bit then it's dependent on OS (8GB-192GB).

Since your OS complies with MOBO (and other specs) you can't have a 32-bit MOBO running a 64-bit OS.

There's no need to send the OP all over to find something he/she can find in 10seconds on their PC.

Feb 7, 2011, 07:26 AM
    I have this Belarc results I ran, I will pop the stick out after work today and read the numbers of it as well as the new ones I have and post the results. Thanks for helping me sort this out.

Networking Expert

Feb 7, 2011, 07:31 AM

It's hard to read but I can see that your running XP Pro 32-bit, with 3 available slots and 1 slot taken by 512mb. Your max allowable RAM is 4GB. I am attempting to read the MOBO # to get a read on compatible RAM but I think it's too small to read ;)

Feb 7, 2011, 07:34 AM
    Networking Expert

Feb 7, 2011, 07:35 AM
    I believe this is your board. I couldn't really read it so I took an educated guess.

VIA P4X400 Chipset - VIA Technologies, Inc.
    Networking Expert

Feb 7, 2011, 07:42 AM

If you take the existing RAM stick and put in slot A0 does your desktop bootup? How about A1?

Feb 7, 2011, 07:48 AM
    I remember, when we tried on Friday, my original 512 stick , worked in all 3 slots by itself. When I added another, it booted up, said I was running 1 gig, but everything went crazy, my avast got corrupt, my windows live mail crashed, and it would re-boot all by itself
    Networking Expert

Feb 7, 2011, 07:49 AM

I would agree with calidad0f3 about a conflict in RAM types... when you get a chance give us the numbers on all sticks and we can pinpoint whether this was the case!

Again, just because they physcially fit doesn't mean it belongs!

Feb 7, 2011, 07:50 AM

Feb 7, 2011, 07:58 AM
    Here's the 3 sticks my brother gave me

Networking Expert

Feb 7, 2011, 08:03 AM

You realize you only have 3 slots right? You have 4 sticks... can you post a pic of the current stick?

Feb 7, 2011, 08:05 AM
    Here is s direct link to the belarc, those smaller ones will be deleted , sorry for the confusion.

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?I=175&u=13136234

Feb 7, 2011, 08:06 AM
    Comment on ITstudent2006's post
    Yes, I realize that. He gave me 3 so, I tried to put 2 in with my old one...
    Networking Expert

Feb 7, 2011, 08:11 AM
    I will admit up front hardware is not my specialty. So califdad0f3 (or others) will correct me if I am wrong but...

I see nothing wrong with the type of memory in the pics above. The PC3200u are DDR400 sticks... which; according to the MOBO manual, 400mhz bus frequencies are supported.

Again, I am not even sure my MOBO link is for the correct MOBO. I will have to see your current stick to compare. Again, others will be around to help! (It's Monday so a lot of us are working) (I'm at work, just bored :D)

UH OH, Check this out!

Feb 7, 2011, 08:20 AM
    Haha, thanks a lot, I have to "go" to work , paint a condo :( Here is my existing stick, I put it back in the farthest slot this time, and now my avast won't work again. It has a red x over it and I can't get it going . I think I have more problems...

Networking Expert

Feb 7, 2011, 08:25 AM

Well that link I posted was saying that the MOBO was iffish and didn't always work with DDR400 RAM but your original stick is DDR400 so that isn't the issue. Your additional sticks are DDR400 as well. I would wait for califdadof3 to come around because I think it's more then a RAM issue!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pc has crashed [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. Just about 3 weeks ago I noticed my desktop crashed. I first noticed the black screen and saw that most of my pics and some files were missing. Now, it seems like it's back to normal but after what happened, I feel something is still in there. I've scanned with Hijackthis and here is my log:...

Added ram now screen hase strips [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all I need help in a big way added ram to my computer when I turned it on it said no signal. Turned it on tonight and the monitor worked but only showed stripes can anyone help me Thanks in advance

Crashed! [ 19 Answers ]

Well I don't know what the heck happened to my computer, the dumb thing froze up, so I had to use the reset button. When it came back, I got this red NAV auto protect window that said "unable to determine the location of the configuration files" and a in the bottome left corner. So I hit enter...

View more questions Search