Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mboyz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2011, 08:59 PM
    H1B Visa holder claiming a dependent who is on H4 Visa for 105 Days?
    I cam to US (H1B visa) for first time in February 2010 and my wife and kid joined me in US (H4 visa) during September 2010.

1) Can I file as "married filing jointly" and apply for ITIN for my wife and kid when I
    File Tax for 2010?
    2) Can I include my child as dependent when we file taxes for 2010?
    3) Do I need to include my India Income for January and February in US return?
    4) What deductions can be claimed as I am the only earning member and supporting wife and kid?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2011, 09:57 PM

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes. Also claim earned income exclusion or foreign tax credit. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

4. File joint return. You get all the benefits. Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas
    mboyz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2011, 04:27 PM
    Comment on MukatA's post
    Thanks for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file taxes for H1B visa holder and wife on visiting visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I got married on 20th Nov 2010. My wife was in USA for 8 days. Then she went back to UK where she has a job and is paying taxes there. We will be living apart till 2012. Now, 2 questions: 1) Assuming I will be filing taxes married but not jointly, so how should I get my salary in...

H1B visa holder claiming a Dependent who is on H4 visa? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1 Visa and my spouse is on H4 (dependent) Visa, my question is can I clain her as a dependent while filing the Tax return. She already got ITIN number. I am trying file taxes online but none of the website is giving 'Spouse/Wife' as dependent option. Please expain me the total...

Claiming a visitor visa holder (B2) as dependent for taxes. [ 4 Answers ]

My father visited the US two times in 2008 on B2 (visitor visa) amounting his total stay to more then 180 days. I am the sponsor (I-134) for his visits. Can get a ITIN for him by filing the W7. I am currently a H1B visa holder and filing as married jointly with my wife who is also a H1B holder. I...

Can F-1 visa holder without earning be a dependent for H-1b visa holder husband? [ 10 Answers ]

I know that the question is kind of strange, but here is my situation. I am having H1b visa at present (moved from OPT to H1b last September). My wife is a student with F1 student visa (in Illinois Urbana Champaign). But she has completed her residential requirement and since last year has been...

H1B visa holder claiming a Dependent who is on H4 visa? [ 2 Answers ]

I am on H1B visa and my wife is on H4 visa. Can I claim her as a Dependent while filing for the tax return. Do I have to apply for ITIN? Please explain the procedure. Thanks

View more questions Search