Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mommy2gio Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Jan 16, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Claiming a child on taxes
    My Husband and I have one son together and he has one that he pays child support for. We pay child support with no questions asked and have for all 5 years of his life. The thing is that we have him the exact amount of time his mother has him... One week on and one week off. My question is "Is there some paper work to file to request that we be able to claim him everyother year?" I know we could just ask her but I am sure she won't go for that. She chooses to live off the system while we work and pay her child support as well as support him when he is at our house. Any info would help. We live in Washington state if that makes a difference in paper work or rules.

Thanks so much
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 16, 2007, 11:19 AM
    The rule is that you can claim a child as a dependent if you provide more that half the support for that child. If you can prove you do, then you can claim him. I would contact the IRS and ask what you would need to prove it.

Jan 16, 2007, 12:05 PM
    Thanks!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Hello Mommy:

If you find that you ARE entitled to the deduction (and I'll bet you are), then you very well may have also been entitled to it for the last three years too. If so, you may file an amended return and get back ALL those taxes you didn't owe.

You don't need her cooperation, and I wouldn't call the IRS, either. Just file for it. You've got your cancelled checks. If she already took the deduction, you'll hear from the IRS, but that's no big deal. Just prove to them that you're entitled to it, and buy yourself a brand new BMW.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 16, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Normally the court in the child custody paperwork tells who gets to file, and if it is shared which years. This is very common in today's custody agreements.
    If not most likely it will need to be decided there.

Jan 16, 2007, 01:22 PM
    She was awarded residential custody because in the beginning he was with her most of the time anyway becase she was nursing. They were not married either, Our arrangement started shorty after. So nowhere in the childsupport papers is there parenting plan just the amount owed. We have filed papers in with the court (but not served her yet) for a parenting plan for schedules. We want to get that established then take that with us to have the childsupport order modified. After that I think we should be able to go from there but should we have included the " file every other year" thing in those papers?

Jan 16, 2007, 01:49 PM
    Yes, that would be part of the "parenting plan"
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 16, 2007, 08:38 PM
    All good advice.

However, does the lady work, or is she on welfare? If so, she may not NEED to claim the child as a dependent.

It has been my experience to cooperate on such issues. It works out best for everyone that way!

Jan 17, 2007, 12:36 AM
    " Just prove to them that you're entitled to it, and buy yourself a brand new BMW."

Haha you are too funny! Thanks for the advice

Jan 17, 2007, 12:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    All good advice.

However, does the lady work, or is she on welfare? If so, she may not NEED to claim the child as a dependent.

It has been my experience to cooperate on such issues. It works out best for everyone that way!
    She is currently not working. She did work during the year and is now receiving unemployment checks. We are trying to keep things civil for our son's sake but financially we are receiving the bad end of things. :(

Jan 17, 2007, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2gio
    She is currently not working. She did work during the year and is now recieving unemployment checks. We are trying to keep things civil for our son's sake but financially we are recieving the bad end of things. :(
    ATE makes a good point. If she had no income for the year, then claiming the child as a dependent isn't going to provide any tax relief for her. While it could make a difference on your return. Offer to do her taxes for her and show her how there would be no affect.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 17, 2007, 04:00 PM
    Scott has a good idea about offering to do her taxes, but take it one step further.

Hire an experienced tax professional and have him/her do your and her tax return and serve as "honest broker" in the case. I often do this for couples who have divorced with children who were my clients when married. I prepare their returns concurrently, then swap the children around to determine the optimal mix. The person who gets the exemption(s) then writes a check to the "losing" parent to compensate him/her for the lost exemption.

It's a win-win situation for all concerned! :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claiming children on taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to this board and hope someone can shed some light on this. My ex and I were divorced in October. In the final decree it is stated that we switch years for filing out only child on our taxes. This would be my year to claim him. My ex is now saying that he was told that we could both...

Claiming Non-resident spouse & child as dependents [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My wife came to US (H4 visa) for the first time in 2006 & was in the US for 3 months. She left for India and we had a baby last month. She will be back In the US along with the child only in Feb 2007. 1) Can I file as "married filing jointly" and apply for ITIN for my wife when I...

Claiming Attorney fees from Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am a first time home buyer. Last year when I purchased the house, I paid attorney fees. During Purchase and Sale I paid $150 to one Real estate attorney and during Closing I paid $600 to another attorney + $25 postage charges to closing attorney. My question is can I claim these expenses as...

How to find out who is claiming my child [ 5 Answers ]

My son's mother and I have not been together in over five years, my son is now 9 and has lived with me exclusively for the past five years. Each year I have tried to claim my son as a deduction and each year I have been told that someone else has claimed him. I asssumed it was his mother, but I...

Claiming children on taxes [ 2 Answers ]

My ex seems to think that he is qualified to claim both children on taxes this year... we have joint custody and have each claimed one child for the 3 yrs since we've been divorced.. last yr I went back to school, so my income was lower since I didn't work a full year, but I do have income from...

View more questions Search