Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chantellybain Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2011, 06:57 AM
    A little bit of blood in puppys stool she is 11 weeks old
    I have just brough a new puppy home for my other dog I have both of them have their first year shots, but my puppy seems to be having loose stools and today there was a bit of redish coloring to it, Now she is only eating my older dogs food and will not eat her puppy food, could this me the reason for the blood in the stool ?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 4, 2011, 07:09 AM
    Anything from new home anxiety to parvo, worms, or anything. Diarrhea often brings a little blood from the irritation of the bowel. Make your puppy feel comfortable, don't expose him to too much of the older dog or excitement, use a crate a lot, hold him a lot - and get a vet appt. You can always cancel it if it stops.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 4, 2011, 07:12 AM
    Dogs and cats love to eat the other pet's food. For now feed the puppy in his crate until you work out a way to keep them separate.

My dog and cat want to trade all the time, even water. Now they get one water bowl. I mean really, it's the same stupid water from the tap, but to them, it's better in the other one's dish.

Feb 4, 2011, 07:14 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    My puppy has had all those shots though, but the people I got her from did deworm her twice&also she seems fine when she is awake and playing & does not show any discomfort at anytime & not even when she is making a bowel movement I am worried it's worms
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 4, 2011, 01:58 PM

It c ertainly can be worms, or even worse. And sometimes blood in stool means nothing at all. The thing is, no one here can diagnose her because we can't see her. When ever I get a new pet I always bring them to the vet for a once over anyway. It's always best to get YOUR vet to give new pets a clean bill of health. Did you get the vet records from the breeder?

Feb 4, 2011, 02:07 PM
    Comment on Aurora_Bell's post
    Yes I did receive the vet records, I calleed my vet and he told me to get to eat her puppy food and watch her over the next few days and see if anything has changed and if not then he told me to bring her in because she more then likely still has worms
    Dogs Expert

Feb 4, 2011, 05:26 PM

That can be the case especially if they weren't using a very good wormer. I like Revolution personally. I have never had an issue when using it, but your vet will recommend something that is right for you.

Good luck, please keep up posted. And we LOVE pictures!

Feb 5, 2011, 05:49 AM
    Well I have er on puppy food and her bowel movments have been more solid now and I also got some worm meds, I'm using vetscription worm-away I've, So hopefully that stops the loose bowel movments, my next issue is I think she has kennel cough
    Dogs Expert

Feb 5, 2011, 06:05 AM

If she is coughing it could mean a number of things. Kennel Cough is basically an upper respiratory infection, similar to the common cold. The condition is caused by a variety of airborne viruses and bacteria, so it's not surprising that so many dogs will experience a round of it at some point in their lives. KC usually lasts any where from 1-3 weeks,but it does depend a lot on a dog's age and health prior to the infection. As with many conditions, puppies and senior pets have the hardest time fighting off the infection.

You should always consult your vet when it comes to the medical treatment of your pet, and usually with KC your vet will prescribe an antibiotic, but there are a few things you can do to help her at home.

-Keeping your dog warm, quiet and free from drafts
    - Removing your dog's collar to prevent excessive coughing stimulation
    -Encouraging your dog to drink plenty of fresh water
    -Providing wet food just in case your dog's throat is sore and irritated

You can provide additional relief for your pet by giving her a vaporizing treatment three times a day. Run a hot shower in your bathroom and let the steam build up with the door closed. Take your dog into the bathroom and let him breathe in the steam for 20 minutes. The vapor will help open her bronchial tubes, which in turn makes her coughs more productive. This will enable your dog to rid herself of more of the phlegm clogging his airways. Of course you can always use a vaporizer in the bedroom as well.

Hope this helps.

Feb 5, 2011, 06:20 AM
    Thank you that all helps me very much, her cough has cleared up a bit since bringing her home but she still has it, but at least there is some phlegm coming up now, I've been using a harness on the puppy because I use one on my older dog

Feb 5, 2011, 06:22 AM
    And every chance I get I bring her to the water dish and she will usually take a drink of water, but I will certenly try the shower trick I did not even think of that as an option thank you very much and I will keep you updated on her condition
    Dogs Expert

Feb 5, 2011, 06:28 AM

She should just always have free access to fresh water 247. Especially now where she is under the weather.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Feb 5, 2011, 06:44 AM
    Oh gosh both my dogs have access to water 24/7, I have three water bowls in total on the ground I'm always so worried they are not drinking enough water (tried to put a pic up but it won't let me )
    Dogs Expert

Feb 5, 2011, 07:02 AM

Oh OK! You are using the new "skin" and I don't know how to post pictures on that style either.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2011, 07:03 PM
    There is more to parvo than just a bloody stool. Once there is blood in the stool for a parvo puppy, the disease is pretty far along at this point. It also has a very distinct smell.. VERY SMELLY! Smellier than normal poo. There is also severe dehydration, lack of appetite, dull eyes and nose, sleeping a lot, not drinking, etc.

If you just got the pup, more then likely nerves is creating the icky poo. Worms is a good guess also. Coming from a breeder, I would assume that she is up to date with all VAX and wormings, but you never know!

It could also be coccidea...

To help with the poops.. Fast her for a day (about 12 hours) and then start her back up on a bland diet. Fasting will rule out any foreign food she may have eaten. Bland diet, such as boiled chicken/rice or browned hamburger/rice will settle her stomach down and make for easy digestion. You can also feed yogurt, about a table spoon to reset the biological bugs in her intestine. Give her some gatoraid or pedialyte to drink to avoid dehydration.

Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blood in puppys poo? [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently just wormed my 7 months puppy and have started 2 put her in a large cage when we go out as she poos in the house. Since this has happened(bout4 days ago) I have noticed blood in her poo tonight for first time. Have been told a number of things could be stress wiv cage worming her...

Why is there blood in my puppys poop? [ 1 Answers ]

When my 8 week old jack russelpuppy goes toilet there is bloodin his poop, I've wormed him, what could be wrong as it doesn't seem normal??

Blood in my puppys poo [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone advise me this morning I have noticed blood in my puppys poo she is 5 months old any ideas many thanks

Should I be worried?or am I just being little bit selfish? [ 16 Answers ]

Ive been this girl for on/off for about 3 years now. When we weren't going out we had other small relationships.Now I'm having troubles getting over the fact that she's been kind "slutty" with a few guys doing a fair few sexual acts and whatnot.now the prob is is that I had one relationship where I...

She has a boyfriend but I reali like her and she likes me a little bit 2 [ 2 Answers ]

Basiclly there's this girl hu I relai like and we get on reali well go out with each other quite a bit and to the gym together I spent most of Friday and Saturday with her having such a laugh but then Sunday she went to see her boyfriend!! Any way she says she likes me back a little bit but I don't...

View more questions Search