Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    STL_HCMC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Foreign Income, No W2 -- How to file?
    From 1/2006 to 9/2006 I was working for a foreign entity overseas and thus do not have a W2 for these earnings.

I do not qualify for the foreign earned income and housing exclusion - deduction.

1. What line on the 1040 should this income be filed under and what kind of explanation, if any, should be included?

2. Is it possible to file this income using an e-file program?

I've tried Turbo Tax and Tax Act free file online preps, but they keep putting me through the foreign earned income exclusion/deduction screens. When I click that I do not qualify, it just kicks me back out to inputting a regular W2.

Anyone have some expert advice regarding these questions?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Kind Regards,
    STL_HCMC
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 16, 2007, 08:12 PM
    You could add it to Line 7, but Line 21 is probably your better bet. Attach a statement to the return explaining the income source. A copy of the latest check stub that sums up the income is also recommended.

Sorry, you will NOT be able to file electronically.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign income as H1B holder in US [ 3 Answers ]

I am working in US with H1B visa, and filing tax return on my US income. How should I treat second income from outside US in tax return? Thanks a lot.:confused:

How to file taxes with no income [ 6 Answers ]

Hi... hope someone can help me, I am a full time student.. I live off school grants and veteran disability benefit money. This is the first time I have not received any income for a whole year. And I don't know how to file my taxes without a w2. But I do know that it is nessesary to file my taxes...

Marriage and Foreign Income [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an U.S. resident alien and will live in and have income from U.S. all year of 2006. I am planning to marry someone (in the middle of 2006) who live in and have income from Hong Kong all year of 2006. 1) What will be my filing status of tax year 2006? 2) If it's "married", am I...

How to File Income Taxes When Converting from F-1 to H-1 Visa Status (AtlantaTaxExp) [ 63 Answers ]

To All Who Have Read My Postings On This Issue: After further consultation with NATP, I am making some additional editing changes, which will be in bold red. I have also been referred to a website maintained by a CPA with extensive credentials and experience doing returns for resident and...

Do I need to file income tax during my F-1 Status? [ 1 Answers ]

During year 2004 (F-1 status) I sold merchandise on Ebay and earned a reasonable income. Do I need to file income tax for year 2004? If I do need to file Income tax do I have any benefits? Or different form to fill out? Currently I am working in this Company with my OPT (Started on January 05)

View more questions Search