Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Augy123 Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

Jan 16, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Chrysler dealer recommends throttle body cleaning
    I have a 2005 Dodge Caravan and it's going in for a 30,000 service. Dodge recommends oil change ($20), tire rotation ($20), and tranny flush ($150).

Dealership says they recommend a Throttle Body Cleaning for another $90.

The throttle body cleaning sounds a little high priced and I'm not convinced it's necessary. Opinions? Thanks.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Skip the throttle body cleaning. Add a bottle of Shell Regane or Chevron Techron to your gas tank yourself and be done with it. If you plan on keeping the vehicle, use full synthetic engine oil (e.g, Mobil 1). Change every 6 months or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first.

When they change the transmission fluid, make sure they drop and clean the pan, change the filter, and fill with ATF+4. Don't allow them to just hook it up to a T-Tech machine and not drop the pan and change the filter. This would be a great time for you to buy a B&M transmission drain pan plug ($8) and have the dealer install it for you. Makes changing the transmission fluid easy for the do-it-yourselfer next time. Also, it encourages interim partial drains. Transmissions need to be babied and are so expensive these days to have work performed on them.
    Vandy-1 Posts: 99, Reputation: 6

Jan 16, 2007, 09:36 PM
    Throttle body cleaning likely unnecessary at your low mileage. Agree with txgreasemonkey
    Add a bottle of fuel injection cleaner to a nearly empty tank then fill with gas to assure
    It's mixed well. About $8-9 at parts store. Perform regular fuel filter changes.

Jan 17, 2007, 06:04 AM
    Ok, that is what I figured. It just sounded a little too much like a "profit enhancer" for the dealership.

Thanks for the replies!
    mopar guy Posts: 3, Reputation: 3

Mar 18, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Augy123
    I have a 2005 Dodge Caravan and it's going in for a 30,000 service. Dodge recommends oil change ($20), tire rotation ($20), and tranny flush ($150).

Dealership says they recommend a Throttle Body Cleaning for another $90.

The throttle body cleaning sounds a little high priced and I'm not convinced it's necessary. Opinions? Thanks.

Hi there , like most car guy know it alls you were given wrong advice , your throttle body on your caravan never sees fuel , the carbon buildup on the throttle blade is caused by engine blow bye , adding anything in fuel will absolutely nothing to clean a dirty throttle body , what a dirty throttle body will cause is stalling when coming to a stop, the air gap at the throttle blad when closed is so small that a slight amount of build up is a problem,

As for the trans service , dropping the pan is way transmission services have been done for yrs, there's just one problem with this method , it only drains about 25% of the fluid , and with fluid brakdown being the number one cause of trans failure the trans flush is the best way of servicing the unit. Its gets all the dirty fluid out and replaces it with clean . In the 31 yrs I have been working on cars I have not seen anything including techron that has done anything other then drain your wallet , it's the mechanic in a can theory . I hope this helps with your questions and educates the other people that gave you wrong advice
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 18, 2008, 06:03 PM
    I have said for a long time that the stuff that goes into the tank is for peace of mind and has little to do with cleaning injectors nor throttle bodies.
    Throttle body cleaning has to do with maintaining air metering at closed or near closed throttle angles. Poor performance here can result in intermittent stalling or near-stalling in parking lot maneuvers and/or stalling when coming to a stop, say at a red light or a stop sign.
    Maintenance intervals for different vehicle will vary, due to design.

If you ever want to know what a service actually is, simply ask to see what they are talking about. Most places, the tech working on your vehicle is willing to show you, if physically possible, what he's recommending and why he's recommending it. It's what we know and it's what we do... and we are often willing to share, so that the motoring public knows...
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2008, 08:40 PM
    I'd have to say I like the cap and mg answers the best. We do this on a daily basis, and it's not all about money, it's good preventive maintenance.
    The throttle body is a precision air metering instrument. Some I have to get in there and scrub with an old tooth brush it's so coked.
    A nice clean throttle body should have enough air gap where a piece of carbon paper should slide between the throttle blade and body.
    That's not much! It doesn't take much crud to fill that gap. The 90 dollars covers a complete top engine clean at my shop, with the additives.
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Mar 19, 2008, 03:02 PM
    Regarding Trans flush service: #1 Flushing does NOT get 100% of the old fluid out. It merely dilutes it. #2 Even though dropping the pan only gets a portion of the fluid, it has the advantage of replacing the filter. #3 NONE, not one, nadda, of the Big 3 recommend transmission, Power steering, or engine flushing. In your case, refer to Chrysler Technical Service Bulleting #26-003-07. It says:

"Chrysler Group vehicle fluid systems do NOT require regular flushing. These systems
    include: engine oil, transmission oil, axle lube, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and
    refrigerant. The only exception to this requirement are published in the vehicle
    maintenance schedules, e.g. engine coolant.

Exceptions to this recommendation include only those instances where a failure has
    occurred and/or the system has become compromised, contaminated or overheated
    beyond the normal operating range."

For an in-depth discussion on the pros and cons of transmission flushing click here: Trans flush

For an article on engine flushing, see this: Engine Flush=Wallet Flush
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMN
    Regarding Trans flush service: #1 Flushing does NOT get 100% of the old fluid out. It merely dilutes it. #2 Even though dropping the pan only gets a portion of the fluid, it has the advantage of replacing the filter. #3 NONE, not one, nadda, of the Big 3 recommend transmission, Power steering, or engine flushing. In your case, refer to Chrysler Technical Service Bulleting #26-003-07. It says:

"Chrysler Group vehicle fluid systems do NOT require regular flushing. These systems
    include: engine oil, transmission oil, axle lube, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and
    refrigerant. The only exception to this requirement are published in the vehicle
    maintenance schedules, e.g. engine coolant.

Exceptions to this recommendation include only those instances where a failure has
    occurred and/or the system has become compromised, contaminated or overheated
    beyond the normal operating range."
    For as many hats as there are in the ring, there is are matching opinions.

As to item #1: no flushing system offers "100%" fluid replacement. There will always be trace amounts of fluid remaining. The key here is: Trace amounts. A flush is far greater at removing contaminants trapped in valve bodies and torque converters, than a simple "pan drop."

As to item #2: Replacing the filter is frequently a good idea, though not all pan services allow access to the trans filter. Ask me if you don't know what I'm talking about. This site is all about asking for more info so that we can all learn and become better informed.

As to item #3: While none of the big 3 recommends flushing, let alone requiring that it be done, few will argue that attempting to replace aged, overheated and possibly particulate contaminated fluids to be unwise. Done correctly, say for example following catastrophic component failure, fluid replacement can serve to revitalize shift feel, but it should never be misconstrued as a repair.

The Big-3 are into marketing their products: the cars and trucks in their inventories, not the fluids that operate those vehicles. They are not geared toward acknowledging high maintenance costs. They won't sell many of their cars if they told you that some of the maintenance needs were due to how or where you drove your vehicle.

I will continue to recommend routine oil changes, and as well, trans flushing when done in accordance with ongoing industry standards and guidelines. And also annual brake hydraulic fluid flushing, due at least in part to the hygroscopic tendencies of brake fluid and the potential onset of corrosion.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 08:57 PM
    Name:  thumbs up.gif
Views: 4608
Size:  2.3 KB Absolutely correct!
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Mar 19, 2008, 09:21 PM
    My biggest objection to flushing is with the shops that flush with Dexron and then add a bottle of "converter". I also have a problem with the shops that flush with a chemical. If you're going to flush with ATF+4, I'm fine with that. I've just seen way too many shift problems crop up after a flush with Dexron and chemical cleaners.

I second the motion for brake fluid flush. But I use test strips to test the fluid it rather than just rely on time and mileage.

Mar 20, 2008, 05:04 AM
    This Post Is To Rick Mn , Its Kind of Interesting How Narrow Your Information Is , Im Curious Why You Did Not Mention That Chrysler Has Its Own Line Of Flushes They Recommend , There Is Even A Labor Operation For The 3 Part Fuel Kit , The Chrysler Flush Line Is Actually Wynns Products That Are Private Labeled With Chryslers Name, They Have Entire Program That Includes Coolant , Trans, Brake ,power Steering , Diff Services . Rick, Keep In Mind While Your Doling Out Good Advice To People , The #1 Cause Of Trans Failure Is Fluid Breakdown , $150.00 For A Trans Flush Is Cheap Insurance .

Mar 20, 2008, 01:24 PM
    Hey thanks for the "timely" responses... just kidding, it's all good info (but I posted the question over a year ago).

Regardless, since that visit to the dealership I had another (and last) visit. My wife had a "free" oil change offer from them at just over 36,000 miles (end of warranty). As brief as possible... she called me at work to tell me the dealership service department was recommending (in addition to the "free" oil change) that she flush the tranny, clean some "idling sensor" (something like that... can't remember exactly), and that the tie-rods needed replaced! They pressured her but, God love her, she held her ground until she could reach me. In the mean time, she had to leave so the svc. Manager tells her that it would "probably" be safe if she keeps the speed to under 25mph and just goes home. After reaching me and telling me all this, I called the manager and asked some questions. Not getting a good feeling I decided to take the van to my regular (independent) mechanic since it was out of warranty anyway. He spent an hour under the van and could find absolutely nothing wrong with any of the front end. I called the service manager back and asked him if he could explain this... he got beligerant and even suggested that I was putting my wife and 2 young children's lives in danger by driving it and then hung up on me! I was furious for a few days and spread the word. Funny, I heard from lots of people who had similar stories about how this dealership had tried to defraud them (in many, many different ways).

It is the VERY last car I will ever buy from them. It may be the last brand-new vehicle I ever buy. It also has soured me a lot on Chrysler/Dodge. I love the van but this dealership has sullied their reputation in my mind probably beyond repair.

Anyway, it's been probably 6-8 months now and the front end is still holding together... amazing!

Mar 23, 2008, 06:19 AM
    Hi augy , it's a shame you the dealer took the wrong path and tried to rip you off , they are obviously not someone you wonna do business with , I have spent alotta time under mopar over the yrs and have never seen tierod ends that were so loose they were dangerous, I think you would have felt definite handling issues associated with a situation of that nature , but on the whole don't be shy to have your fluids flushed, its really the best way to do a service because fluid failure is the number one cause of trand and rack failure , its cheap insurance , rotating your tires is key, but I will tell you I personally ignore the tire pressure recommendation and put the max allowable air pressure in my tires, I have gotten better gas mileage and excellent tire wear , you find the max pressure allowable on the sidewall of your tires , as for having a bad taste for dodge, don't blame them for scumbag service manager , find reputable dealer and take the time to pass on this experience to chrysler corporate , they have no time for loser dealers and will take action .

Thanks jim
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 23, 2008, 04:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Augy123
    Hey thanks for the "timely" responses...just kidding, it's all good info (but I posted the question over a year ago).
    That just goes to show, no question "expires" here. Gladly so! Many can gain from what has been posted here, over a year later. Even longer for other questions.

I'm sorry to hear that dealer had some ideas that didn't fit into industry standards regarding honesty and fairness to their customers.
    Personally, I hope that is more rare than it is common. Frankly, I have been in this industry for a very long time, and to hear of this type of atrocity always makes me cringe and reassert that nobody will ever talk about me like I was trying to rip anybody from their hard earned money.
    Hopefully, anyone who reads this, now knows that they have a significant group of auto repair consultants to refer to if, and when, something where to happen to their chariot!

Simply ask here for a second opinion.

Mar 25, 2008, 03:50 PM
    Thanks guys, I am all for routine and preventative maintenance. I'm also grateful to have a local mechanic I trust. He's not the least expensive but I know he won't "fix" something that isn't broken and he does good work. It's also great to have this forum to ask questions and to get answers from gentlemen such as yourselves. Thanks again!
    todd1953 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Do you know how I can hook up a 4 pin wire trailer harness to a 2009 dodge journey?
    mabe39 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2010, 02:05 PM
    Thank you! Thank you to all of you who answered and to the gentlman who asked the question, and to this isite for posting it. You saved me money and time and I do so appreicate that.
    Randy1976 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2011, 03:24 PM
    I have a 1991 Dodge grand caravan and I have oil in air filter housing and I was told the throttle body needs to be cleaned so I need a step by step process on how to clean it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Has anyone read this book and recommends it? [ 2 Answers ]

I was just wondering, due to all the "ex" questions and concerns on these boards lately, my own included... I have heard of this book called, "It's Called a Breakup Because It's Broken." I bought it last night and have just begun reading it. Apparently both of the authors (Greg and Amiira...

Honda throttle body help [ 2 Answers ]

I brought the wrong throttle body for my d16y7 engine and I don't know if it will work in my car, I assume its from a d16y8. On my throttle body there's the map, tps, and iac sensor, but on the one I just brought, there's only a map and tps-----------help

Honda Civic '89 1.6L - which throttle body? [ 7 Answers ]

About to purchase a replacement fuel injection throttle body. Seller says his available part is for a 1.5L engine, but that it should be O.K. for a 1.6L. Is he correct? Chuck

View more questions Search