Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Concerned44 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2011, 03:32 PM
    Custodian parent lives in PA but works in Texas. Kids stay home with Step-parent
    The Father has physical custody but both parents share legal custody. Father never told Ex-wife about his new job in Texas. Step Mom is acting as custodial parent in the absence of the Father Mon-Fri

Is Father in contempt? Shouldn't he have told the mom about leaving the kids and working in another state?
    What rights does the non-custodial parent have?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 3, 2011, 03:42 PM

What do your court orders say about situations like this? What is your current level of custody and when was it last changed?

Is the step mom a danger to the children ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 3, 2011, 03:53 PM

It depends on the nature of the job. It could be only temporary. It also depends on the terms of the custody order. And what type of relationship the children have with the step mother.

In an ideal situation, where divorced parents put the children above anything else, the father should have informed the NCP. But based on the tone of your post, I suspect he felt you (assuming you are the NCP) would make trouble if he did.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 3, 2011, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned44 View Post
    Is Father in contempt?
    Not unless he has violated a specific term of the custody and visitaition order. Normally, a custodial parent can delegate custody to a baby-sitter, child care provider, etc. or, as in this case, a step-parent.

Shouldn't he have told the mom about leaving the kids and working in another state?
    If the order requires him to do so.

What rights does the non-custodial parent have?
    If she thinks the situation is somehow detrimental to the welfare of the children, she can ask the court to change the custody order somehow. What sort of change would she ask for?
    Concerned44 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2011, 05:01 PM
    Thank you for your reply. This is the first time I encounter this. Dad has physical custody since Feb 27 2010. I found out about him working in Texas because his new lawyer told us.

Step mom is neurotic but not a danger to them because my sons are bigger than her. She has a gun (with permit) and that is the only concern I have.

{Merged Comments}
    Expert

Feb 3, 2011, 05:10 PM
    Step mom is neurotic but not a danger to them because my sons are bigger than her. She has a gun (with permit) and that is the only concern I have.
    You probably don't want me to get on that soapbox, but the fact that she is armed seems like a good thing. She can more easily protect the home when the father is absent.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 3, 2011, 05:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    You probably don't want me to get on that soapbox, but the fact that she is armed seems like a good thing. She can more easily protect the home when the father is absent.
    My soapbox too. Because Im hoping she practices good safety with it. Too many leave them laying around and even if the children are old enough to know better it's a great temptation to them in these times.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 3, 2011, 05:44 PM

She probably isn't too neurotic if she got a gun permit.
    Expert

Feb 3, 2011, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    My soapbox too. Because Im hoping she practices good safety with it. Too many leave them laying around and even if the children are old enough to know better its a great temptation to them in these times.
    ... my sons are bigger than her. ...
    If these boys are in their tweens or teens, it's time they learned about the safe handling of guns. Granted, OP has limited say in what goes on in her ex's home, but...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step parent must pay child support when biological parent is unable to provide [ 2 Answers ]

My ex-husband is claiming that he does not have to pay child support because he does not work and has not work since 1998. Our two daughters however, up until 2 years ago lived with him and his new wife who is the sole provider of that family. So my question is even though he cannot pay since he...

Child live with cutodial parent, now lives with noncustodial parent child is 18 years [ 1 Answers ]

Child lived with custodial parent, now lives with noncustodial parent, child is 18 years old. What happens to child support?

Step Parent Adoption/Possible with one absent parent Kansas [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Kansas and I am soon to be the mother of a baby girl, however my significant other is not the biological father of my child, I need to know what steps to take to make it possible for him to be her father. My situation is this: I got pregnant one night by a man that I knew little or...

Can a parent moved th kids to another state if the other parent disagree. [ 1 Answers ]

Can a parent moved the kids to another state if the other parent disagrees.

Absent parent contesting step-parent adoption [ 11 Answers ]

My husband is attempting to adopt my daughter (age 11), he has been her dad now for about 9 years. The biological father has not seen his child since she was 5 months old and never paid child support. I have a child support order and a permanent restraining order which was granted in Kansas, 1997....

View more questions Search