Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EliEW Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2011, 02:09 PM
    Can my supervisor divulge personal medical information to her supervisor and HR?
    HIPPA Law in CO as it relates to substance abuse

I took a two week absences from work to detox my body from alcohol and seek counseling from a CD Counselor. I work as a dental assistant at a prestigious university . I shared this information with my direct supervisor (the dentist) and asked her to keep it confidential. She asked me to tell her supervisor, the manager of the clinic, which I agreed to do when I returned to work. She took it upon herself to divulge my personal, medical information to the clinic manager,who then reported the same information to the HR Benefits personnel. I believe my HIPPA rights have been violated as I do not believe that I have to divulge my medical condition to anyone. In addition, I believe that both my superivisor and hers have violated my rights per HIPPA. Am I correct and if so, how should I proceed?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 2, 2011, 02:28 PM
    Those people have a right to know.
    Your HIPAA rights have not been violated. It was incumbent upon your supervisor to inform those people ASAP since there may be rules in place about your ability to return to some/all your duties without certain formalities, such as a release from an MD.
    EliEW Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2011, 02:41 PM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    I do have a medical release which I discussed with my supervisor and am filling out the required paperwork from HR. What if my co-workers were informed of my condition? It makes it very uncomfortable for me to return to work if they all know.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 2, 2011, 03:04 PM
    It's best to use Answer rather than Comment.
    Your coworkers who aren't your superiors shouldn't be informed, and most universities are well schooled in this, so I would try not to worry about it. You can certainly ask if anyone has been told, and I doubt that they have.
    As for alcohol abuse, if you go to AA you soon discover that everyone is very good about confidentiality, even those who are open about it at work. Eventually you run into people you know, even a supervisor or two. You may find it a relief to be open about it after being sober long enough.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 2, 2011, 04:38 PM

No your HIPAA rights were not violated, not even close. HIPAA covers medical practitioners from releasing information about medical diagnosis and treatment to third parties without permission. Since YOU provided the info to your supervisor there is no HIPAA issue at all.

While your supervisor may have betrayed a confidence, she probably did so because of HR rules. Had you not mentioned anything, you might not have had to divulge any info, but once YOU did, then a whole other set of rules may have come into play.

As for your co-workers knowing, HR and your supervisors should not be revealing any info to anyone who doesn't have to know, but word tends to travel fast.

Basically your only recourse is to find new employment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 07:27 PM

No there is no violation. Since you were having to take a leave they have not only a right but a obligation to tell HR and their supervisor

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an employer divulge personal employee information to a non employee? [ 14 Answers ]

I was hurt at work and have been off for 6 weeks due to my injury. My question is, can my employer tell a friend of his that I have been off work and hurt, and missing a lot of work?

Approval from supervisor to medical appointment 48 hours in advance? [ 5 Answers ]

Is it a HIPPA violation for a supervisor to require that I give 48 hours advance notice as well as obtain his express approval before I can go to a medical appointment?

A supervisor who wants advice on personal grievances? [ 1 Answers ]

When an employee has taken a personal grievance against the supervisor and also attended a mediation meeting without the supervisor being aware of the personal grievance and meeting, is there any process the supervisor can take because it was lodged without her being informed in the first instance?

Political candidate refuses to divulge personal information [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for the title of a movie, probably from the 80's, maybe the 90's. A candidate (pretty sure female... like 95% sure) for a high government office (president, vice-president, Supreme Court, something like that... powerful and rare for a female to hold) is pretty much breezing through the...

My supervisor has its favorites [ 6 Answers ]

My Supervisor is always raising her voice at mainly everyone, Except for 2 ladies who seem to be her favorites because they always bring her food, is this appropriate?

View more questions Search