Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2011, 07:14 AM
    There are so many places I'd like to visit. I've never been to Alberta or Ireland. The only places I have been in Canada are Vancouver and Victoria. I've been to Spain before, Italy a couple of times, briefly to France and Germany. I've also been several places in Mexico and the Caribbean. Other than that, a lot of travel in the United States - but so many more places I'd like to visit.

When I travel for work, I'm usually putting in long hours so I don't get to see much. The client in Spain specifically requested me, so I was able to build a week's vacation into the assignment and John will come over for the week. I'll be in Barcelona, which I haven't seen before. I'm looking forward to that.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 24, 2011, 07:17 AM
    Wow! I would LOVE to go to Spain. Love it. I have been to some places in Europe, Vienna, Budapest, Austria, Prague and London. I have been in every province in Canada a few dozen times too. I love traveling in Canada. Although I am sure I am just biased ;)
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2011, 07:19 AM
    Agreed, It makes all the difference if you enjoy what your doing :)

I thought you'd just be traveling around the US, but Spain, nice :D, I kind of envy you a bit, getting to visit all these interesting places, but I guess you don't get much sightseeing done :)

My degree is in computer games programming, and I'll hopefully graduate after this next year, with a decent degree :)

Hope you get back on your feet soon :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2011, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Wow! I would LOVE to go to Spain. Love it. I have been to some places in Europe, Vienna, Budapest, Austria, Prague and London. I have been in every province in Canada a few dozen times too. I love traveling in Canada. Although I am sure I am just biased ;)
    I love Vancouver and Victoria - actually been there a few times. I would love to see more. So many places, so little time. ;) You've been to some really interesting places.

I've been reading up on Barcelona - since I can't do much else right now. :p We pretty well have planned out what we would like to do, with the biggest part being a lot of walking around Barcelona, taking in the sites and just the feel of the place, and eating tapas. :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2011, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear View Post
    Agreed, It makes all the difference if you enjoy what your doing :)

I thought youd just be traveling around the US, but Spain, nice :D, I kind of envy you a bit, getting to visit all these interesting places, but i guess you dont get much sightseeing done :)

My degree is in computer games programming, and i'll hopefully graduate after this next year, with a decent degree :)

Hope you get back on your feet soon :)
    I loved traveling all over the US for work when I was single. Now - not as much, but I didn't want to look for a full-time job here since we are hoping I won't be working by this time next year (hopefully starting our family instead). It's rare that I travel outside the US for work, but it has happened a few times.

One more year of school - that must feel good. :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2011, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Looking View Post
    I loved traveling all over the US for work when I was single. Now - not as much, but I didn't want to look for a full-time job here since we are hoping I won't be working by this time next year (hopefully starting our family instead). It's rare that I travel outside the US for work, but it has happened a few times.

One more year of school - that must feel good. :)
    Ah so starting to settle down, so to speak :)

Actually I like Uni life, its nice and relaxed, work is stressful :(
    So I'm looking forward to going back, but not to finishing, if you know what I mean, I'm actually quite worried about what will happen after my final year :o

Reet I'm ff for now, cath you both later :)
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2011, 08:23 AM
    Bye Bear :)

Will that still be in C++?

As for me, I'm still learning some Tcl once a while, and maybe I'll get some Python and javascript. I found two cool site with good tutorials :)

Hello anyone still on!

I'm in the northern part of the island this time, in a factory making spirits and wine and rhum and other alcoholic drinks making a Repairs and Maintenance audit. So far... the things to be done are quite in a mess :o But I'm sure all will be better tomorrow and Friday. I think it's just that we are not used to the process owners yet.

It's quite far, 1h30 by bus at non-peak hours and another good thing is that we get food there ;)

Sorry to hear about your injury JLo, I hope it gets healed soon :)
    Dogs Expert

Aug 24, 2011, 08:58 AM
    Hey Unky! I had a client in the other day who was from Mauritius. He was showing me picture sof his home, very beautiful. His dog didn't understand any english so it was pretty funny! I had to bribe him with treats lol.
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2011, 09:02 AM
    My dog knows a little of many languages, lol.

One of two french words, one or two english words, one or two chinese words... :p
    Dogs Expert

Aug 24, 2011, 09:07 AM
    Haha, a very well versed pooch you have! :D
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2011, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Looking View Post
    The thread is alive again. :) I finished up the job I was working on Friday, and in a couple of weeks I am going to be doing consulting work for my old firm. They pretty much have me traveling for the rest of the year, with a couple of weeks at home here and there. I can also come home on weekends or John can fly to wherever I am.

I'm lucky to have a couple of weeks off. I took a bad fall last week while I was out running. I'm hurting - badly sprained right ankle, skinned up left knee and elbow. I would have been better off if all the injuries were on the same side. :o

Bear, what do you do now? Will you be back in school or looking for a new job? Adam, I bet the overtime is nice, but those are rough hours. Bella, those are great hours. That makes for a nice weekend. :)
    The hours aren't to bad, especially working 4 days instead of spreading out the hours over 5 days,
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2011, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post

I'm in the northern part of the island this time, in a factory making spirits and wine and rhum and other alcoholic drinks making a Repairs and Maintenance audit. So far... the things to be done are quite in a mess :o But I'm sure all will be better tomorrow and Friday. I think it's just that we are not used to the process owners yet.

It's quite far, 1h30 by bus at non-peak hours and another good thing is that we get food there ;)

Sorry to hear about your injury JLo, I hope it gets healed soon :)
    Now that's a company I would enjoy auditing. :D I've done some crazy audits. When I was fresh out of school, I helped with an inventory at a turkey farm. I couldn't believe I was chasing and counting turkeys.

I also hope it's healed soon. I wake up every day thinking it is better, but after an hour or two my ankle and foot swell back up again. It is definitely improving though. Since I don't want to be on it, I am getting all my paperwork in order... but my yard needs attention. ;)

Adam, I like 4 day weeks. The job I'm doing in Florida later this year works 4 days, so it will be easier to fly home. Also, I was surprised to read that you are shy. I never had that impression. I can be a little shy also, though I'm growing out of it. Like you mentioned, it's tied in with self-confidence.
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2011, 10:26 AM
    Well yea, and we have a new field leader for the team. She's been living in London for 10 years and is recently back. She's a nice person but still tends to compare in pounds. We went to the shop yesterday to see what's interesting, but she kept saying that this and that was expensive as compared to that of England's :p

Oh well, I'm not yet into alcoholic drinks, so yeah... :o

We already got an issue of segregation of duties related to issue and approval of POs :rolleyes:
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2011, 10:31 AM
    It's great that you are running into issues. That's how you learn. The first accounting firm I worked for was huge and had sophisticated clients. At least at the entry level where I started, the audits were always clean. It could be a little boring. However the firm found out that I liked going in where there were issues and fixing things, so I started getting some of the jobs where they really needed help. When I moved back home, I was dealing with a smaller firm (though still pretty large) and smaller clients. I like working where I feel like I am teaching the client something and actually helping. It's much more interesting and fulfilling.
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2011, 10:47 AM
    Hm.. I see what you mean. I've been told so much by other people that people in general don't like auditors that I think my 'unconscious overview' of the auditor-client relationship was a bit distorted... I'll try out with that mindset now :)

The only thing that is really bugging me here is that there has been an audit recently (done by the client's internal auditor), about the repairs and maintenance itself, but it was only about the vehicles while ours are dealing with the production chain too. We don't know if they want to make a comparison, if they want to see which one is better... but if they do, it will most certainly be against either us, or their internal auditor :(

But if they don't and take it more like a parallel audit, it would be a great thing for the company, since this might shed light onto issues one auditor didn't find :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2011, 11:00 AM
    You do hear a lot about how auditors are not welcome. I always tried to be sure I was respectful of the client and their time. A lot of auditors go in with an attitude - especially when they are young and working for one of the big names. They are typically the top people in their school and act like they are special. I have learned that it takes all kinds of people to make the world and a company run, and I respect people for what they have to offer. There are many different types of intelligence and talent. That attitude goes a long way towards building good client relationships.

I know you are a very nice person so I think you will find you get a good reception. It might take some time as you are still learning and you will make mistakes or take more time understanding the client, but with experience you will get to the point where they will appreciate and respect you. If they know that they will benefit from your relationship, they will appreciate your presence.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2011, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post

Will that still be in C++?

As for me, I'm still learning some Tcl once a while, and maybe I'll get some Python and javascript. I found two cool site with good tutorials :)

:)
    Hi again everyone still here :)

Hi Unky

C++ is what I'm thinking of doing my FYP (Final Year Project) in, I much more prefer to work in C#, but I'm told the games industy uses C++ a lot so it would be the better choice in the end and is probably worth putting in that extra effort.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 24, 2011, 11:14 AM
    I was so glad when I got out of the accounting world, but now it seems as if I am thrust right back there. I shouldn't have given my experience in the accounting world, but oh well. A job is better than no job. It's a little different because even though I started working directly for a clinic, I am now working with their funding partners. It's fun and interesting, but not what I want to do wit my life :s
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2011, 09:02 AM
    Yep, I can be shy sometimes, I am trying to come out of it, but I just get nervous, especially talking to a girl at first. The approach is hard and the rejection sucks but I am trying to work on that.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 25, 2011, 10:12 AM
    Don't worry Adam, everyone gets shy at some point when dealing with the opposite sex. Just don't let your shyness take over :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Animated alice in wonderland [ 6 Answers ]

I want to find an animated version of alice in wonderland. I used two have a vhs tape of it and I'm not sure what happened to it. I think it's from the 90s but it might be 80s I'm not sure. I'm also not sure what company it's by. I think the theme song went something like "alice if only we knew...

Alice and wonderland [ 1 Answers ]

I just went and saw the new alice and wonderland directed by tim burton with johnney depp in it. Does anyone happen to know the name of the dance the mad hatter did at the end??

Weird alice in wonderland movie. [ 2 Answers ]

Years ago I was watching the news and there was a small documentary about movies which were nominated/seen at a foreign festival. All the movies were interpretations of alice in wonderland by lewis carroll. One movie really freaked me out. It was a black & white adaptation of AIW, where alice walks...

Alice in wonderland [ 2 Answers ]

What is the name of alice's cat in alic in wonderland?

View more questions Search