Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zipbytes17 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 04:11 PM
    I am renting a room in an apartment I leased. When we say 'room' what does it cover?
    I have a roommate who is not paying rent for 2 months now and has decided to play the system. Now I would want to stop his use of the kitchen and all the things I own that are in the kitchen and other common area such as fridge, extra closet in the living room, more closet spaces in kitchen, microwave, etc (not including the bathroom, he can use that for all he wants). I also want to have my things back that he borrowed from me like my curtains, lamps, furnitures and some appliances that he is using in his room now. Is it legal to do that?

We don't have an agreement because he is just month-to-month I laready sent him an eviction letter and will file for eviction on the 30th day. But until then what should I do?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 1, 2011, 04:26 PM

During this stage of the process you can not limit his use to anything other than what it was before. This would include the things you mentioned because they all apeear to be furnishing of his room. Sorry
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 1, 2011, 05:07 PM

Why are you waiting for 30 days? If he hasn't paid rent why not use a pay or quit notice so you can file for eviction much sooner.

As for restricting his use of common areas, you can't do that arbitrarily. However since he is month to month tenant, you could give him written notice that after the next full rental period, you are changing the terms. But of course you have already started the process to get him out.

Feb 1, 2011, 05:10 PM
    How can I file for eveiction sooner? I am in NYC. I sent him a notice that 30 days starts on Jan 17 so technically his 30 days is up on the 17 of Feb. I plan to file on the day immediately following that so he can get evicted. Thnaks :)

Is there a format to the written notice? Month starts today so can I write the notice now and post it on the fridge?

{Comments Merged}

Feb 1, 2011, 05:13 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Thanks. I am in NYC. Does that apply here?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 1, 2011, 06:02 PM

First, please use the Answer options at the bottom of the page if you have a follow-up question or information.

Since you already served a 30 day notice, its too late. NYS/NYC law allows the landlord to give a 3 day pay or quit notice. The drawback of which is he gets to stay if he pays.

If you Google termination of tenancy, you should find sample letters.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2011, 06:09 PM

Yes, the 30 day notice was incorrect, it should have been a 3 day notice.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 1, 2011, 06:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zipbytes17 View Post
    ... can I ... post it on the fridge?
    No, that's not a good idea. He could claim that he never saw it. Hand it to him in person.

Feb 3, 2011, 01:08 PM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    I certified email him as well.

Feb 3, 2011, 01:08 PM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    I meant mail. Sorry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am the owner of the 2bed room flat and one room I am renting to one lady since last [ 2 Answers ]

I am the owner of the 2bed room flat and one room I am renting to one lady since last 1 year without signing any contract(Verbal only)and now I want my room back so asked the lady to move within 1 month notice but she is saying she wants 3 months notice and I am not sure whether she can move after...

Renting a room in a house [ 3 Answers ]

What are the legalities if I were to rent out a room short term, just to people on vacation for a week or so here and there (maybe a total of 1 or 2 weeks per month). No food included. Besides submitting the income from this on my tax returns, would I need to do anything else? I'm thinking of...

Renting a room in my house [ 4 Answers ]

Hello there, My question is I am trying my best to stay in my home with my family. To do this I don't see any other way than renting out one of the rooms. It's on the other side of the home and has it's own bathroom with a shower stall. I also have a 5 year old boy I am very apprehesive about...

How do I get my deposit money back from the agency I leased an apartment room from. [ 4 Answers ]

I wanted to rent a room in an apartment for r1300 per month. The agency I was dealing with told me to sign the contract within less than a week otherwise I would loose the room, so I signed it before I could read the entire contract. I was required to pay e deposit of R4650 and I had made an oral...

View more questions Search