Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sam520 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 03:15 PM
    Hit and Run and I'm Not Sure If I'm Covered on my Dad's Insurance
    There's currently a blizzard in Chicago and I was making a right turn at a intersection. There's a stop sign so of course I stop my car and I was driving slow due to the snow. From behind I felt an impact and it almost pushes me out to oncoming traffic. I immediately rush out of my vehicle to confront this driver. He apologizes several times saying he tried to stop, but the road is slippery. I check my vehicle for damages and there are several chipped paint, but no dents. I asked for insurance information and he drives off nearly running me over. I'm currently wondering if I'm covered by insurance since this is not my vehicle, instead it's my fathers. Should I file this?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2011, 08:43 PM

Does your father's policy have coverage for Uninsured Motorists? Were there any witnesses? Did you at least catch his license plate #? Did you file a police report? (adds credence to your statement)

Your father should still be able to file the claim (there may be a special deductible for this coverage). YOU can't file the claim, since it's not your policy.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 7, 2011, 09:38 AM

One other point - while it is true that your father's policy on the car applies regardless of who is actually driving it, you should be named on his policy if you are a family member living in his household. If your father has neglected to tell the insurance company that you are a driver in his household, they may use that to deny coverage for your accident.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer back up or not, covered by insurance [ 3 Answers ]

I recently discovered, after a flood in my finished basement of my Condo, that a pipe in the ground under the foundation had collapsed. This was causing any water I used in the house to come back up into the basement. The plumber said it was a collapsed pipe. My insurance agent has told me that...

Is blasting damages covered by insurance company? [ 1 Answers ]

Does home insurance cover damages from blasting in the common area in my backyard? I noticed squeaky noises in different spots in my home which was build in 2000.also there is cracks in the marble fire place and driveway too.I believe that all this damages accrued when the start blasting in my...

Floors covered in insurance? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, We have noticed that parts of our upstairs flooring has been becoming springy! On closer inspection it appears we have chip board flooring laid upstairs and this has started collapsing at the joints, it has all been laid poorly and does not appear to be water treated. To add to that it...

Someone hit my parked car but I got no license or covered by my insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm new to this site. Last week my dads car was hit at my job . This girl backed up into my dads parked car . I borrowed it to go to work . I have no license or covered by insurance , but my dad has full coverage . People tell me it was parked so it doesn't matter if I got no insurance or...

S it against the law to be double covered for medical insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Is it against the law to be double covered for medical insurance

View more questions Search