Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    horlah Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2011, 01:15 PM
    State Tax status. F1 student, resident, non-resident or part-year resident
    Dear Atlanta Tax Expert/any tax expert

I am a student on F1 status. I graduated from Univ of GA in December 2009. I moved to NC the first week of February 2010 and still in NC till now. Before moving in February I didn't work at all in GA, I was basically just packing my things and searching for jobs until I decided to move to NC. I started work in NC in April and worked till December ending.Its my first time filing NC stae forms, so am confused. For tax purposes,

1) am I required to file a GA state form? Bearing in mind that I reported my change in address sometimes in February. I didn't earn any income in GA, or pay rent, I signed off my rented apartment on Dec 31st 2009. However, I didn't change my driver's license to NC. I retained my GA license, because I was hoping I would get a job in GA and move back.

2) all my earned income in 2010 was in NC state, and I lived in NC since February 2010 till date. Am I considered resident, non-resident, or part-year resident for tax purposes? I remember while I was in GA, F1 students were told we are non-residents even if we lived in GA 365 days of the year, is it the same in NC state?

3)which forms am I required to fill for NC state tax filing.

Thanks for your help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 7, 2011, 04:19 PM
    1) If you earned NO income in Georgia, you have NO REQUIREMENT to file a Georgia state income tax return.

2 & 3) You are considered to be a part-year resident of North Carolina, and probably should file as a part-year resident. However, if you file as a full-year resident, no one will know the difference.

If you need professional help filing your return, email me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question about moving/taxes (resident/non-resident/part-resident status) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I recently moved from DC to New York for work, but between leases I moved back home with my parents for a month in NJ. I'm a little confused what forms I need to fill out. My situation was: Lived/Worked in DC from Jan - Mid-Nov (Should require the DC Resident Return) Lived in NJ/Worked...

F-1 student, unsure about resident/non-resident alien status for taxes [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I was in the US on a J-1 visa from May-July 2005, and came back in August 2006 on a F-1 visa. I am still on the F-1 visa. I was wondering if I should be filing taxes as a resident alien or a non-resident alien for tax year 2010? Thanks for your help.

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

View more questions Search