Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2011, 11:10 PM
    Replace handleset locks
    Can a handleset lock be replaced by a lock other than another handleset lock without making modifications to the hole?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 30, 2011, 07:43 AM

A little more specifics about what you want to do please. There is a couple different sizes for the door knob or lock set , a couple sizes for the bolt and a couple for the back set (distance from the edge. Assuming you are speaking of standard entry or interior doors.
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2011, 09:18 PM

I have a handleset on my house that looks about 25 years old that is worn out and hard to use with the key. I would like to replace it with something more modern like a fingerprint or number combo lock. Thanks for any tips.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 2, 2011, 09:53 PM

Having never installed a finger print or cipher (number combo) lock set, I can't help much, but you should be able to install. May require additional or larger holes but any modifications should be doable. Otherwise, they wouldn't sell many.

Suggest reading installation instructions before purchasing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace copper with flex-tubing under k-sink, replace faucet [ 13 Answers ]

I need a new faucet in the kitchen. Old lines are copper and sweated in. Can a novice do-it-yourselfer change the copper lines to flex-steel, and put in a new faucet, or do we need a plumber? We are willing to learn.. Where can I find detailed information on how to do it? Step by step?

Deadbolts and locks [ 4 Answers ]

I just purchased a schlage deadbolt lock-i want to rekey it to a master key,I have the rekeying kit but have never rekeyed to a master key-i have only rekeyed to 1 set of keys and now I would like to rekey my locks to a master key to avoid having to carry so many sets of keys thank you for any help...

I want to replace or upgrade replace 50yrold tub faucet on wall [ 4 Answers ]

I want to replace or upgrade replace 50 yrold tub faucet w/2 handle plus faucet on wall, either delta or amer stand. Any product suggestions? Not worried about price.

Did I have right to change locks [ 5 Answers ]

I own my home in NH and I allowed a female to stay in a spare room that I have. I charged her 375 a month. There is NO written agreement.. I told her that SHE alone could rent the room. NO ONE ELSE. I did allow her grandson to stay over from time to time however. So a few weeks go by and I...

Windows and locks [ 1 Answers ]

1. Could you simply define what a lock threshold is ? Explanation in my apt search I want to make sure that the locks operate properly without loose or missing thresholds. Could you tell me what to look for (simply)! 2. what is a double cylinder lock? 3. what is a deadbolt lock with a saw...

View more questions Search