Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jreuter21 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2011, 06:37 PM
    How to fix my gfci and other outlets
    A row of outlets in my kitchen just stopped working one day. One of them is a gfci. There are 2 other outlets and 2 lights (light switches) on the wall that don't work as well. I checked all my fuses and other gfci in the house. All of them are good. On the gfci that doesn't work, I can't even push in the test button and when I hit reset nothing happens (test doesn't pop out). Do you think I just need to replace the gfci or any idea what the problem might be?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2011, 06:47 PM
    GFCI' are fairly delicate "instruments". They can be damaged by power surges, water and other gremlins. That said, they serve a good purpose and work as expected. Pull the GFCI out and first look for loose wires. Then see if there are wires attached to the LOAD side. Check for 120V at the line terminals. If you have 120V at the line and 0 at the load, replace the GFCI-$15, and see if that doesn't fix it. Make sure to tag the wires.

Jan 30, 2011, 01:39 PM
    I pulled my gfci out of the wall and all that is connected is 1 white, 1 black and a ground. Does this mean my gfci is not running in circuit with the other outlets on the wall? If so what do you think is going on beings that none of them work. There are 2 separate outlets one of them has a double light switch on it that controls 2 lights above my countertop. All of these are not working right now

Jan 30, 2011, 01:52 PM
    ACTUALLY... I was wrong. I just took a better look at my gfci and there IS 2 black and 2 white wires connected. BUT the white wire that connects in the back, looks like it has some sort of syrup looking stuff on it. Sorry for the poor description but it is the best way I can think to describe it. And the plastic area the white wire goes in too is melted. I would have to think this is where my problem is coming from. Any idea what may have caused this? Will replacing my gfci be the answer? Is the melted area and other substance cause for alarm? Thank you for the help!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2011, 02:27 PM
    Yes, it is most likely through wired and the cause of your problems. Yes, the melted area is a concern since the GFCI has been overheated and is most likely the culprit. You also probably have a burned wire. Hopefully you have enough extra to trim off the bad end. Is it a 15 or 20 Amp GFCI? Looking at the face with the ground hole down, if both slots are straight it is a 15. If the left slot is "T" shaped, it is a 20 Amp. Kitchen circuits SHOULD be wired with a 20 Amp breaker and 12 AWG wire. If you have a 15 Amp GFCI, and the breaker and wire are rated for 20AMP, get a 20 AMP GFCI. If the breaker is 15 AMP, use a 15 AMP GFCI. Note that the back says LINE and LOAD. Make sure you reconnect the wires as connected or the GFCI won't work. Turn off the breaker before starting. Good luck and let us know how things work, Brian
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 30, 2011, 06:29 PM

Okay, let's level set here.

The NEC requires a minimum of two 20 amp GFCI protected circuits for above the counter receptacles in the kitchen. They can also supply receptacles in the dining room or breakfast area.

They are not to supply lighting fixtures or receptacles in any other areas.

If this GFCI protected outlet, also fed lights, the circuit is violating the electrical code.

As to the melting, normally when connections weaken they generate more heat. This heat in turn can melt insulation and plastic and also cause a fire.

If you are not experienced with electrical circuitry, then I suggest that you call a licensed electrician to make sure your installation meets code.

The Nec is about safety!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2011, 07:19 AM

If you do not have voltage to the line side of the GFI, it will not reset(newer ones anyway).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI outlets and breakers [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling a basement and the power going down comes off a split pole 20 amp breaker with 12/2 wire. I was told I need to install a GFCI. Is it possible to install 1 in the first outlet and the other 5 in line thereafter will be protected as well or would it be better to reeplace the breaker...

Can I put outside gfci, and laundry gfci outlets together on ciruit? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am in the process of redoing my basement, adding a bathroom and laundry room. I would like to have one gfci protected outlet in the bathroom, one in the laundry room, and also add one outside (through the bathroom wall), I also would like a light in the shower stall which will need to be...

GFCI/outlets not working [ 1 Answers ]

After replacing all outlets and GFCI's in kitchen, one new GFCI does not work, the new outlet next to it does work, and the new GFCI on the other side of it does work. It appears to me that the line/load should be correct if the receptacle next door works? Of the two hot wires going to the GFCI...

Wiring Outlets to GFCI [ 13 Answers ]

I need to run 2, 20 amp, 240 VAC outlets. I already have a 50 amp GFCI. How can I safely run 2, 20 amp receptacles off this breaker? One option is to buy 2, 20 amp, 240 VAC, GFCI's. Not really what I want to do. These things are expensive, Another option is to wire 2, 50 amp receptacles, but...

GFCI Outlets [ 1 Answers ]

I have a quick question and am hoping for an easy answer... I have just remodeled our kitchen and in doing so wanted to have two circuits at the countertop. I ran a 12/3 wire into the first box, tied the reds together and ran the black and neutral through the GFCI. At the second box, I tied...

View more questions Search